Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Serious Reflection for Independence Day

I know I've talked before about loving my country - The United States of America. I do. I am so thankful to have been born in this land where we have the freedom to speak out for what we believe, the freedom to worship God as we believe we should, the privilege of voting to elect our own leaders.

I am extremely disturbed and saddened when I see so many people who should know better dishonor our heritage and act as if these things came at no cost. Freedom isn't free. Many good men and women gave all, including their own lives to obtain this bounty we enjoy, and yet many of us act as if it will continue indefinitely with no effort on our part.

I've just finished reading a tribute to Ronald Reagan and I've been reminded of the years before he took the Presidency. I remember the sort of shame we felt about our country, as if we'd done something so terrible. Ronald Reagan gave us back a pride in our nation, a feeling of unity, a sense that we could accomplish anything.

I believe that is what we're all looking for in this election, but I don't see any candidate equipped to meet that need. Perhaps it is finally time for all of us to look to the only One who can help us.

His Name is Jesus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so blessed to live in this country and to have the many opportunities that we have been given. It was part of my education in the 50's and 60's that I have a reponsibility to give back to this society which has given me so much. I have enjoyed many volunteer activities over the years: Red Cross, Young Republicans, my churches in many cities, DAR, CAR leader-helping children learn about patriotism, and others. Now my volunteer work tends to be more personal: helping an elderly friend pick up her daughter at the hospital afer her surgery, teaching young co-workers about patient care, feeding a frind's dogs while she's out of town. In all of these activities, I received much more than I gave!
While I can still hear the fireworks going off, there's still the warm glow that I felt watching them. Imagine how our forefathers felt as they declared independence from England! We have so much to be thankful for!
Let's elect a president who has our values and who doesn't want to let foreign powers defeat this free country!
Muddling's not much younger sister, Albuquerque, NM

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. I am old enough to remember the hope that Reagan brought to our country. I sure wish we could get that back. :*(