Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Best Sugar Cookies in the World (and the easiest way to make them)


A friend and former neighbor gave me this recipe for sugar cookies over twenty years ago. She moved away long ago, but we still enjoy these cookies on a regular basis.




The really great thing about them is she taught me a little secret: roll cookie-size balls of dough and place them on cookie sheet. Then dip the bottom of a glass in sugar and use that to flatten the dough.


It goes really fast this way, and it sure beats rolling out all that dough.

Turns out some delicious melt-in-your-mouth cookies.


Lois' Sugar Cookies
Cream together:
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
Add:
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 cup canola oil
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
Beat until fluffy, then beat in:
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
Beat in 5 cups all purpose flour.
Form walnut size pieces into balls and place on cookie sheet. Flatten with bottom of glass that has been dipped in sugar. Bake at 375 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes until golden.
edited to add: Sorry, I forgot to mention that this recipe makes a LOT of cookies - about 100 - 2 inch cookies.

My little "helper" Bruno is waiting patiently for his cookie. That blur means his tail is wagging. :)

And I couldn't leave you without a tour of some of what's blooming outside today.















Pesky fire ants have been busy building their kingdoms in our garden, but soapy water will soon put them out of business.


Bruno is SURE there is something hiding in there.




And here we are back inside looking out.
Hope your day was a good one!
Hugs and kisses,

6 comments:

Millie said...

Elaine thank you so much for the sugar cookie recipe. I like to make these cookies. With 3 kids I am always looking for new, fast and good cookie recipies. And I love seeing your flowers and the puppy.

Oiyi said...

Those cookies do look like they can melt in your mouth!

Melanie said...

Thanks for sharing the recipes. I'm completely jealous of the spring blossoms. We had snow yesterday...

Thimbleanna said...

Those look great Elaine -- and with 5 cups of flour, I'll bet they DO make a lot LOL!

Susan said...

How did I miss this post and with a cookie recipe?!! I sure do need to see those flowers (it is so depressing here). We have sunshine and rain and still the grass won't green. Bruno looks so happy, I hope he got an extra cookie for standing guard.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

sounds like a great way to make sugar cookies, will have to try them. Aren't those pesky fire ants something, I just took pictures this morning of the ones invading my yard. It is hard for us to get rid of them because of the neighbors 40 acre pasture next door. They seem to creep in from there.
Thanks for the kind words on my painting blog....