Saturday, February 20, 2010

New Quilt, Creative Nails and Other Stuff


So, there's been lots going on around here. I've just been real lazy about writing about it. I'm sorry to have been absent for so long!
We' had some beautiful sunshiny blue skies, though it's still been pretty cool.

I've got some seeds growing into little, baby plants. I can hardly wait until it's time to set them out in the garden. Have I mentioned that I LOVE Spring? I do. We've had a cold winter this year and lots of things that usually don't - - have died. I'm hoping at least some of them will come back. We'll see. Anyway, Spring is the season of new beginnings, fresh growth and hope.


Miss Ru has been playing with some new nail polish. Can you tell that she's had lots of fun?



I tried it, but somehow it doesn't look as good on my nails. :)


And, my plans changed (big surprise). This was going to be the back of my Christmas Pinwheels quilt, but I decided to let it live its life as a quilt in its own right.Once again, I've used the Laura Ashley fabric for backing.It's nice, huh? My sister-in-law gave me a LOT of this fabric. A thrift store had the end of a bolt and didn't know what to do with it. They were going to throw it in the trash!!! My sister-in-law thought of me and asked for it and they gave it to her. How sweet is that!
I've bound the quilt with jellyroll strips of Charisma. You can see that I used the same line of fabric on the table runner binding. I'm sure all you smart quilters already know this, but it makes life a lot simpler to buy jellyrolls and use those strips for your binding. They're already cut! I just sew as many together end to end as I'll need, press them folded in half and stitch the raw edges to the quilt's back side. Then I fold it over and stitch to the front. EASY.
This time, instead of making a label, I just wrote directly on a light-colored piece of the backing. So, all done, and ready to be given to my friend.
I do so hope you're having a wonderful time doing things you love!
Hugs and kisses,

4 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, lucky friend! Your quilt turned out beautifully Elaine! And duh -- I've never been a jelly roll/layer cake, etc buyer (I just don't see them very much) so I had no idea they were cut to the right size for bindings -- that's pretty cool!

Margaret said...

You amaze me with the amount of work you can do, lucky you for the Laura Ashley material, both quilts look exciting ------ and Spring so far away we have had a couple of nights were the temp. was 26c in the morning , today it is windy getting ready for Autumn good blanket washing day .

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I love Laura Ashley material and your quilt is just lovely! Blessings,Kathleen

Oiyi said...

Wow, another gorgeous quilt! I really like the dark colored nail polish.