Saturday, September 8, 2012

I Totally Blame Bonnie Hunter


Well, not really.  It's just that I've been reading more of her posts lately.  And in the last few months she has had some of the most beautiful old sewing machines that she's found in various antique shops and malls in her teaching travels and brought home with her.  I found myself wanting some of those old machines, too.

Okay, this is not really threee machines, just three views of the same one - a Singer 99K made in 1927.  Isn't she a beauty!!!  Mr. Muddling got her all cleaned up and oiled today.  Soon he will have all the parts, including the motor, which is also in almost pristine condition, reassembled. 

And yes, I DO already have a Singer 99K, but it has the foot pedal.  (And it has been absent, off helping a friend survive until she got a new machine.) This one has a knee control!  This neat little part in the case is the controller motor and there is a knee control that fits there to the left on the outside of the case.  It is just the cutest thing ever.  And it works!  I can hardly wait to start sewing with it.  Soon.
 
Meanwhile, out in the back yard I spotted this monster.  It was almost four inches long!  I thought it looked pretty neat until I realized what it was - a hawk moth, which in turn becomes a tomato hornworm, one of the most destructive tomato chompers out there!  Of course there are no tomatoes in our garden any more, but it's the principle of the thing.  He had to go!
 

I've managed to get a few more of the star blocks made.  I'm past half way now!


I'll leave you with this little cartoon I got by email from a friend this morning.  I couldn't agree more!  Glory to God!
 
Hope you're having a wonderful weekend.
 
Hugs and kisses,

5 comments:

Karen said...

Watch out! This liking for machines could become an obsession! And I am sure you will have lots of fun with it, too.

Susie Swanson said...

Those old sewing machines are treasures..I love them too..Hope you enjoy every minute sewing on it..Love your stars..Blessings

Thimbleanna said...

Ooooh gross -- tomato worms! I haven't thought of those ickies all season -- if I suddenly find one I'm blaming you for mentioning it LOL.

Your little sewing machine is beautiful -- how fun!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Hahahaha!! Love it!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I can completely understand......those machines are beauties! Such a pretty moth to turn into such a stinker! Love the star blocks!