Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Disappearing Four Patch Quilt for a Vet

Last night the Disappearing Four Patch quilt was finally completed.  This one will go to a man at our church, a former Marine who is battling degenerative hip disease.

I backed it with a cozy fleece so it will be nice and snuggly.

I sew my bindings on with my sewing machine.  Hand stitching is not my favorite thing.  I quilted this one with an all over loopy sort of thing that I made up as I went along.  As usual.  Muddling, what can I say?

Here's another look at it.  I'm really pleased with the way this one turned out.  There are a lot of Disappearing Four Patch tutorials out there if you're interested.  I used 10 inch squares for my four patches, then measured two inches from the center seam - horizontal and vertical - on each side of the seam for my cuts.  You can see that the blocks are big!  It only took twelve for a quilt big enough to cover my sweetie.  I didn't measure it, but he said his arms got tired holding it above his head, so it's a good size.

I've been cutting strips of batik and sub-cutting some 2 1/2 inch squares from each different fabric.  I want to make another colorwash and I told a couple of friends that I'd cut them each a kit, too, so they could give it a whirl.  Wanda continually inspires me with the beautiful work she does.
 

As usual, Bruno was in constant attendance and a great support.  Though he doesn't look too thrilled to be there, does he??

This twisted ball of fur is Chloe.  She tried to stay the course, but had to give up for a nap.
 
I hope you're having a wonderful weekend.  We are.  Miss Ru is supposed to come home today!!!  Yippee and Glory to God!
 
Hugs and kisses,

17 comments:

Sheila said...

Very nice DP4 patch quilt. The fleece backing will make it warm and cozy. The vet will love it.
I machine sew all the bindings on my large quilts. I may hand sew bindings on my mini quilt wall hangings or not.
Looking forward to viewing a colorwash project on your blog in the future.
I do hope Miss Ru is improving and will be able to come home today.

Sheila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheila said...

Very nice DP4 patch quilt. The fleece backing will make it warm and cozy. The vet will love it.
I machine sew all the bindings on my large quilts. I may hand sew bindings on my mini quilt wall hangings or not.
Looking forward to viewing a colorwash project on your blog in the future.
I do hope Miss Ru is improving and will be able to come home today.

Sheila said...

oops. having blogger issues.

Diane said...

That turned out great! I love a good D9P! It is such a easy pattern and can have so many looks. Nice job!

Karen said...

This quilt looks great. Love the way it looks. I have wanted to make one of these and your quilt may be the spark I need. lovely gift.
Best wishes for Miss Ru coming home.

Susie Swanson said...

This one is very nice.. I'd love to tackle one of those.. Like you, hand stitching is for the birds.. I do mine with the sewing machine too.. That Marine will be so proud to have this..

Sarah Craig said...

Elaine, that's a wonderful quilt! It will definitely be a comfort to the gentleman who will receive it. Whoop whoop for you!!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a wonderful quilt, I sew my bindings on by machine too. I bought one of Wanda's colorwash kits a while ago......note to self......work on it. Her work is beautiful. Bruno and Chloe look like great helpers!

Lynette said...

That's so awesome of you to make this for him, and it's an extremely attractive quilt for a man. :) Love that binding.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Hope Miss Ru came home as planned. I've said it before, but I sure love your D4P.

Thimbleanna said...

You're always so sweet Elaine -- what a wonderful gift! I hope Miss Ru is doing much better today. And you had temps in the 70's -- wow -- you lucky, lucky girl!!! ;-D

Anonymous said...

Love the D4P. I really need to try one someday!

Anonymous said...

Love the D4P. I really need to try one someday!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I love the Disappearing 4 Point quilt. The colors are awesome. What a wonderful gift for the man. Glad Miss Ru is coming home. I wish her the very best. I like the photos of the animals, too.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Beautiful quilt! Love the color! Bruno is so cute as well as Chloe. Don't you just love to see cats sleeping like this?

Unknown said...

How much yardage did you use? I like the block size....
Thank you for sharing