Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Miss Ru's Batman Quilt

Finally!  I finished the quilt for Miss Ru last night and she immediately wanted it put on her bed.  

When she got her new, bigger bed, I told her I would make her a quilt.  (Of course.) She said that she wanted a Batman quilt, which threw me for a bit of a loop.  What is a Batman quilt, and how would I make it?  She said, "No, not of Batman, but with the colors in the comics."  Miss Ru is a huge Batman fan.  You don't even want to know how many videos there are of him in her collection.  Anyway, this is the color scheme I came up with, and Mr. Muddling provided the finishing touch.

He cut out all those bats flying on the quilt top.  It might not be the choice a lot of people would make, but I do understand his attraction for Ruthie.  Batman is a mere human who has withstood devastating losses, yet continues to battle evil without super powers, just a lot of determination.  (And a LOT of marvelous toys!)


The backing is a Jinny Beyer print.  It looks gray, but is actually a soft violet.

Miss Ru's dog Ariel approves.


This picture is just for the fun of it.  I had to take a break while quilting this one and lay down on the floor.  Looking up I noticed how pretty the quilt looked from the bottom with the light shining through it.  I used a really thick polyester batting, which I guess is why you can see right through it.  Funny.



Not a lot going on out in the gardens in all this heat.  Mr. Muddling's outdoor construction project is still in progress, hence the ladder, etc. still out there.

I've had enough of Summer now, thank you very much.  I'm ready for Fall.  How about you?

Hugs and kisses,

9 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love that quilt!

We had a lovely fall day today, clear air, low dew point and humidity and just making it to 70 degrees. We know there is more summer coming though, it always comes back the week the kids go back to school.

Wonky Girl said...

That's a wowser quilt! I really like the mix of fabric colors. Your daughter had a great idea.
We are tired of summer now too but it will last well into October for us.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Wow - love that quilt! I'll bet she loves it!

I don't mean to rub it in, but our highs over the next several days will be in the mid to upper 70's ... pretty fall-like. So, I'm in no hurry for fall as it seems like we're having fall right now. ;-)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Wow - love that quilt! I'll bet she loves it!

I don't mean to rub it in, but our highs over the next several days will be in the mid to upper 70's ... pretty fall-like. So, I'm in no hurry for fall as it seems like we're having fall right now. ;-)

Thimbleanna said...

Oh how fun! I'll bet Miss Ru loves it -- you're so clever to come up with a great interpretation of her request.

As for Autumn -- hmmm, not sure. It's been unseasonably cool here the last few weeks, so I'm not burned out on summer yet LOL.

Susie Swanson said...

Oooo, I love that quilt and the pattern. I've made one kinda like it before with three colors. Called a Rail Fence. I love those colors.

Karen said...

That's a great idea for a quilt. Perfect in those colours and the bats are a wonderful idea.

BJ said...

No!!! I am just not ready for summer to end! August means the end of summer for us. Hopefully we can squeeze a few more weeks out before going back to socks and shoes and jackets.
Love your beautiful creations!

Adventurous Quilter said...

That is a wonderful quilt well done!