Friday, March 21, 2014

Strings


Kathy asked me what I was making with the string "fabric", so I thought I'd show. I did start out sewing many strings together. I then cut those into 5 inch wide strips.


I sewed the 5 inch strips together until I got close to the length that would work - in this case around 60 inches.

I have seven of those rows done and now I am sewing black 2 1/2 inch sashing between those strips.  Mary Johnson has a much better tutorial here.

And just because I love you, I show you the perfect coffee or tea mug. I bought one of these for Mr. Muddling a while back and he liked it so much I bought one for Miss Ru and one for me. They are thermal, made by Aladdin. I bought ours in WalMart. They hold a full 16 ounces! I don't know about you, but in the morning.....I really want that much coffee!

Outside in the Land of Muddle, Spring has burst into full glorious bloom. The azaleas are just gorgeous! Of course I can also see so much work that needs to be done, but for now, I'm just going to enjoy the beauty.

And no, that is not dust. That is pollen, the downside to the bursting forth of Spring. LOL It's mostly tree pollen and at its height, it looks like a cloud of dust floating in the air. Not a lot of fun for people with allergies, but I'll take it in exchange for the cold weather we had any day!

Right now our windows are open and I am listening to so many birds singing. If I didn't know better I would think we were out in the countryside somewhere instead of a neighborhood in one of the biggest cities in the country! The mockingbirds have been singing almost around the clock. There is something so peaceful in going to sleep at night hearing birdsong.

I do hope it's peaceful and beautiful in your neighborhood!  Have a good weekend.

Hugs and kisses,

11 comments:

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Elaine. LUV the strip project, something about all those colors lined up neatly in rows, and yet all different sizes. This will be beautiful.
best, nadia

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Elaine. LUV the strip project, something about all those colors lined up neatly in rows, and yet all different sizes. This will be beautiful.
best, nadia

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Your spring flowers are so beautiful and I love the songs of birds, too. That pollen looks bad. It's been bad here,too and makes the allergies act up. I love your string quilt. It is really awesome. Have a lovely spring.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Thanks for the explanation of what you're going to do with those strips of strings ... I cannot wait to see them put together with that black sashing ... I'll bet that makes those colors pop!

I'm jealous of all those azaleas ... I'm not sure if any of ours are going to survive the winter we had.

All that pollen! Wow! Crazy! I'd take it, too, over cold weather. ;-)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the azaleas. I have never tried growing them here but I think there is a hardy version for my zone. I think they are one of the most beautiful blooms.

BJ said...

I love the strings!

Karen said...

Love what you do with the strings and the azaleas are looking gorgeous!!
The birds must sound lovely!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh wow -- it looks so pretty down there! It may be months before we see something like that here -- we have snow flurries outside now -- sheesh!

Susie Swanson said...

I love the quilt and your glorious flowers. I can just smell that pollen. That's the bad thing about spring but I will be willing to suffer through it to get some warm weather. May have to eat my words later on. Hugs, xo

Wonky Girl said...

Oh my, your strings are going to turn into a wonderful quilt! Can't wait to see it all together.
Those azaleas are so pretty. They are something I really miss seeing. Every spring we went to Callaway gardens in Georgia. (Lived in GA for five years).

Annie said...

Love all those strings...how do you keep them straight?