Thursday, May 22, 2014

Airplanes!

A while back I bought this Go cutter airplane die. I knew that at some point I wanted to make a quilt for my sister's husband. He's been a flying instructor and an enthusiastic pilot for a long time. My sister has also been a flyer of airplanes!  I am so impressed with them both. They even owned their own plane for a time.

Recently, this good man has gone through some health struggles, but I'm happy to say he is doing very well now!  Glory to God!






I thought he might enjoy these little airplanes flying around on the quilt I made for him.


This is just the top, it is not quilted yet, but soon. I am so glad I went ahead and bought that airplane die, even though I was not ready to use it. It has been discontinued now.

I also used the Go 6 1/2" half square triangle die for the body of the quilt, and the triangle in a square (4" finished square) die for the border. I could have planned that border a bit better, but it's still looking pretty good to me.



And these little babies are some plums that were growing in our back yard. We had plum trees very similar to these in our back yard when we were children, so these bring back many good memories.

Isn't it funny how children growing up in the same family will go in such different directions?  I'm just thankful that we still love each other!

Summer has arrived and the air conditioner is working. Again, thank God! I do hope things are happy and interesting in your world, too!

Hugs and kisses,

7 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Love that quilt ... And those planes on it add such a nice personalized touch!

Empty Closet Quilting said...

I love the little planes. I am a big fan of the Accuquilt dies, it's fun to see how other quilters use them.

Thimbleanna said...

Haha -- it is funny how people raised in the same house can be so different, isn't it? I love your airplane quilt and I'm betting your BIL will love it. It's wonderful!!!

Susie Swanson said...

Awe, that is just gorgeous. i know he will love it. Yes, those plums bring many memories back for me also. Happy Memorial Day. Hugs,xo

Wonky Girl said...

Wonderful quilt, what a great idea for the airplane.
Yes, we had cherry trees in our back yard when I was a preteen. Mom made me go out and pick sour cherries for her to can. I pitted lots of cherries too. Thanks for that memory.

Karen said...

That is a wonderful idea to use the planes. Great quilt,too. I think this will be a lovely gift with special significance.

Pokey said...

The little airplanes look sharp! The quilty background becomes the farmland view from the air. Prayers for improved health for your BIL ~
:-}pokey