Thursday, May 3, 2012

Christmas in the Garden

Believe it or not, I finally finished (oh, so much later) my sister's Christmas quilt!  Hallelujah!  


A close up of the binding.

The backing is a wonderful paisley print on fleece, but there is no batting in this one, so it's not overwhelmingly heavy.  I think she will enjoy it, and I'm glad to get it done.  I do hate to have things unfinished.  (So we won't talk about the other things that are not finished yet.  Okay?)

Note, also, the lovely tomato plant (that I need to tie to its support pole).  The garden is coming along nicely out there.  It's summer here now.  I don't care what the calendar says, it IS summer.  Early summer.  Not the brutal heat of later in the season, but still hot days and not-at-all-cool nights.  Ah, Houston.  Got to love it!  And I do.  I've lived here for over forty years.  As we transplants to Texas like to say, "I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!"



I'm also trying to finish the quilt I promised for an auction our young people at church are having to raise money for a trip they are taking this summer.  The top is pressed now.  Time to sew on the borders.  Moving right along!

I do hope you are having a wonderful day doing whatever pleases you most.

Hugs and kisses,

6 comments:

*karendianne. said...

What a great post!!! I totally dig the Christmas quilt - the backing is very pretty. What a great choice. I like how you placed it there with the tomato plant. Pretty pretty pretty.

And gosh those photos of your work with the batiks is adds interest. I like how you did that. Nice work my friend. The composition and all that sewing, too.

Karen said...

What's the problem? Christmas is months away. You are early for this Christmas :)
Good to see it finished and looking wonderful. Love the backing fabric.
And good luck with the batik quilt!

Margaret said...

And I see you put your new toy to good use on the Christmas quilt , both quilts look very nice, especially the snuggly Christmas one.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Such beautiful quilts!! It was 106 here yesterday.......I must have missed spring...LOL

Thimbleanna said...

You ARE moving right along -- I think you must be on steroids, you finish so many quilts! I can't believe your tomatoes are so big -- I'm hoping to plant a few tomorrow!

Nanette Merrill said...

Nice to see the Christmas quilt done. Great accomplishment. She will love it.