Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Trying to Get Some Work Done Around Here


This is my progress so far on the latest string quilt.  I've got 45 blocks made, each is 9" unfinished.  I figure I'll need another 45 blocks to get it the size I want it.

Last night I got the three center strips sewn on 32 more blocks, but did not get them pressed until tonight.

Now they've all been pressed and trimmed.  Maybe I can get a few more strips sewn on tonight.  Or maybe not.

This little package of prettiness came in the mail today.  I ordered this from Wanda.  She makes the most exquisite colorwash quilts and I've been really afraid hesitant to try making one, but I figured if I got one of her kits I would at least have a good start.  There are 100 - 2 1/2 inch squares here and she recommends that many more be added from your own stash.  So, there will be some hair pulling pleasant playtime ahead for me.
Edited to add:  I knew I should have gone back and looked at the description of the squares I ordered.  There are 200!

But my best news by far is that a husband/wife team is coming tomorrow to repair my piano.  I've owned this piano for over forty years, and it was twenty-five years old when I bought it from a large music store in downtown Houston all those years ago.  Over time a lot of the very important plastic parts holding the things that make the music have worn out, leaving it not very playable.  I love to play the piano.  I don't play that well, but I like it, and more importantly - Mr. Muddling likes to hear me play.  So for my birthday this year (which was last Friday) he decided to get the piano fixed for me.  I am so excited!  It is supposed to be a full two day job, but I will soon have my very own piano back in service again.  

And yes, that is Chloe skulking around there underneath the piano.  There are scratches on top from her very exuberant kitten days.  We'll work on getting it looking better after the sounding better part is completed.

Things are looking up around here.  God is still on His throne and all is right in the world (or at least it will be).  I hope things are well in your world, too.  Because I love you, you know.

Hugs and kisses,

5 comments:

Karen said...

Your string quilt is going to be huge. It is looking great with all the blocks you have so far.
I think your piano will be delighted to be fixed and have someone playing sweet music again!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The string quilt blocks are really pretty. It takes a lot of work to make those but the impact of the layout is worth it. By the way there are 200 squares in that packge!

Annie said...

What a beautiful piano! I love playing piano too. Enjoy your new quilt. It will be like my rainbow one which I love, but I didn't follow a formula, just made it up on the fly...oh and the happiest of birthdays to you, dear blogger

Susie Swanson said...

That one would be very hard for me to do but you've got it pegged.. I love it and the piano..Blessings, Susie

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Elaine. You're string quilt is looking better and better. And I really liked the cover for your Singer. She deserved some TLC!
best, nadia