Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Four Patch Stars

You may remember that I have been making four patches and turning them into sixteen patches and then making them into these four patch star blocks from a Missouri Star Quilt Company video. (Thank you Jenny Doan!) I was glad to have so many made already.

Our great nephew and his wife recently lost a newborn baby boy. I got this one finished up and we gave it to them.

This is the backing.

And a little close up of a section that includes the border. I liked the cloud fabric. It reminds us that we have treasure in heaven. I cannot imagine how they must be feeling, but I hope the quilt will help a little.

I'm still playing with the kite blocks. I had put some of them on this fabric on the design wall, but that will not be the one I use. Still pondering. You know how that goes!

Mr. Muddling gave me a food saver vacuum system for my birthday and I made a big batch of salad the other night and put some into quart jars.

Isn't it pretty! I have to say, it works pretty well. The vacuuming keeps the ingredients fresher. Now I have several salads left ready for eating!

Here's another little thing on the other design wall. The dresden plate blades are not sewn together, nor is the kite block sewn on, just playing. But it is pretty, isn't it?

And then, Bruno and I have to take a break sometimes!

It does seem to be taking me longer to blog this summer. I'm doing things, just don't seem to stop and document them. I need to do better. It's good to have a record of what I've done and when.

I had such high hopes for our little vegetable garden this year after all the rain we had in the Spring, but it just didn't happen. I've replanted cucumbers, so we'll see how this bunch fares.  You really do have to be an optimist to garden. But I am so thankful for our little patch of earth and the things growing there.

I hope you have interesting things going on in your world and that you are finding much for which to be thankful. With all its trials, it is still a good life.

Hugs and kisses,

9 comments:

Sheila said...

What a wonderful star quilt. Beautiful border print. I'm sorry to hear your great nephew and his wife's lost their baby boy. I'm sure your quilt will give them comfort.
Love those prints in you Dresden Plate! I have a new Dresden ruler and want to make one. Maybe a quilt of Dresden flowers if I can work up the nerve.
To bad about this year's garden. Jar salads look delicious!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Yes, you do need to be an optimist to have a garden, that's for sure. I'm so sorry to hear of your family's loss. I'm sure that quilt will be a blessing to them. I love your Dresden! Yum! And what brand of food saver did you get? We keep talking about getting one, but we're just not sure what brand/model we should get.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have never heard of a food saver vacuum system. That is a great idea for salad. It takes so long each day to get out all of the ingredients and make salad from scratch.

I was trying to decide on centers for my remaining blocks from Sujata's book and your block laying on top of the dresdon plate has given me an idea.

Thimbleanna said...

I've finally had time to catch up with you Elaine - and, no surprise, you've finished several quilts while I've been gone. I'm sorry to hear about the baby - isn't quilting a wonderful gift? And let's not talk about gardens - mine has produced almost nothing again. I'm thinking maybe next year I'll turn it into a perennial garden. I hope with September on the horizon, it's cooling down for you!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

The Four Patch Stars quilt is awesome! I love the colors and the pattern. Your salad looks very good, too. I hope the weather will be getting cooler since Sept. is coming.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

So very sorry to hear about your great nephew's loss........so very sad. What a lovely quilt! I always think I have a favorite picked out and then your post another one! This is my favorite! Love the salad in the jar! I know what you mean about gardening. If it is not the heat and wind to battle it is the rats and rabbits here that has eaten every thing.
Have a wonderful weekend!

cassandra said...

What a beautiful gift. my friend just lost her teenaged son. I am sending her a quilt. If I can't be with her in person, it feels like the next best thing. This is my first visit to your blog. Bruno is a cutie!

Susie Swanson said...

Beautiful quilt. I've always wanted to try one of those. I love your gift.. It's so neat. Hugs and Blessings, xo

Karen S said...

Hi Elaine. It has been lovely to look through your posts and see what you have been up to in August. Lots of lovely quilts and of course I really like the stars. You are always so busy. And of course I found out how hot it is near you. Keeping the garden going must involve a lot of work. Spring is just stating to poke through here a home.