Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Happy Spin

This is the quilt I couldn't show before. It was a surprise for a friend of ours, and it was delivered on Sunday. She likes it!

This is my take on Katy Doughty's pattern Vintage Spin from her book Adding Layers. I'm calling my version Happy instead of Vintage Spin. 

The backing is this Jinny Beyer print that seemed to me happy to play along.
I had a lot of fun making this one. The blades are a mix of batiks and Kaffe Fassett/Philip Jacobs fabrics.  I fussy cut flowers from Kaffe Fassett's Suzani Embroidered, and used a machine blanket stitch to applique them to the center of each block. I made my blocks a bit bigger at 14 inches instead of 13 1/2, and made this one of 20 blocks instead of the original pattern's thirty blocks. It's still a good size to snuggle!
Lots growing and blooming (and just hanging out!) here in the land of Muddle. We've had some nice rain the past couple of days and we can see the plants are happy about it! 


I have now trimmed this one, but it still needs a binding sewn. I think it will probably go to the local USO when they need more quilts.

And this one has had borders added and is now loaded ready to quilt. Hopefully I'll have these two finished and get another post up soon. I have been busy, just not busy posting!

I hope all is well in your world, and that you have plenty of HAPPY where you are. With all the bad things we see and hear about, there are still a lot of good things, too. Lots of blessings for which to be thankful, and I am.

Hugs and kisses,

6 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That quilt is indeed "Happy". I love the backing fabric too. I still have a few blocks leftover from my first shot at that pattern. I think you have encouraged me to make some more blocks and do another quilt.

All of your quilts are so cheerful and bright and colorful.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

You have been so productive! And yes, that is such a happy quilt. Beautiful, too, as they all are ... but then your quilts are alays fabulous.

Susie Swanson said...

Wow, what an awesome quilt and I'm sure it made someone very happy. I love all your quilts and the love that's put into them is so amazing and inspiring. You have a heart of gold my dear friend. Hugs and lots of love, xo

Wonky Girl said...

You call it "Happy", I call it Utterly Beautiful. So is your garden, would love to see more photos.

Karen S said...

Your Happy Spin looks stunning. I love the combination of fabrics you have used. I hope you make more of these as it looks so cheerful. Such a lovely gift.
And the next two are looking good as well, and nearly finished!!!

Ariane said...

I love your happy spin quilt. It's beautiful!!