Saturday, October 5, 2019

String Circles

The string circles quilt is at long last finished! Somehow it took me quite a while to get the binding sewn on this one.
I saw this book when I was wandering around on Amazon looing for something else, and I just had to order it. The cover quilt is the one I made, but I didn't make mine quite as large.
I like the ingenuity of using those large coffee filters for the foundations. I pressed them first to flatten them out and then started sewing. It was a lot of fun!
 
And it made a very striking quilt.
 
I used this yellow print for the backing and more solid black for the binding.
 
My sweet neighbor has a granddaughter who visits her often.. I thought she might like a little doll I had bought, so I gave it to her. In return, she and my friend surprised me later with this delightful toy Emily had made. I love it! If  you read the little note she wrote to go with it, you'll see that it's a "slof"!
 
In other news, I decided to make another of these quits. I had so much fun with the first one and I decided I'd like to make maybe a coupe more to give as gifts.
There is something very satisfying about just putting fabric through the machine and turning it into something else!
I bought a fat eighth bundle of the new Jo Morton fabric "Shelbyville", and I like it a lot. I cut it all up into 1 1/2 inch strips with my Studio cutter. There were also leftovers from the other quilt I made, so this one will have lots of variety.
 
Autumn keeps teasing us and running away again. Early in the morning and late in the evening there is just a hint of cooler weather. The rest of the day, it's still hot!
 
I do hope you're finding lots of good things to see and to do!
 
Hugs and kisses,
Elaine
 
 
 

6 comments:

KatieQ said...

As a fan of string quilts, I was amazed at how wonderful the black background looks with your round string blocks. Your quilt is a great advertisement for the book. I immediately went over and ordered a copy. Thanks for posting such a unique quilt. I'm sure you inspired a lot of string lovers.

Wonky Girl said...

Your String Circles quilt is so fun. I bet a smaller version would make a really cute baby quilt. Have to file that idea to try later.
Sew is it the APQS Sew-along quilt you will be making for gifts ? I'll be collecting the neutrals for that for a while. But it's fun collecting, eh ?
(((HUGS)))

Karen S said...

That is a lovely finish with the string circles. There is so much colour in the quilt. It is a delight.
Love the little doll left for you. What a kind thing to do.
Looks like you are well and truly into your next project.
Have fun.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

The string circles are so pretty! I think that would be very complicated to make.....you are certainly talented! Love the homemade "slof" LOL so cute!
The weather has been pretty much the same as yours......but how lovely are the balmy days!

Thimbleanna said...

What a fun quilt Elaine! It looks like a lot of work too -- sewing ALL those strips together. You sure have a cute neighbor -- your little slof is a treasure!

Sheila said...

I love your circles quilt! This one is on my bucket list :)