Thursday, June 18, 2009

Another Sunny Day



Hi. I thought I would share a little Houston heat with some of you who haven't warmed up yet. (Those who have, sorry - I know you've already had enough.) This little video was out in our front yard this morning around ten. It's not quite ten thirty now and it's already 87 degrees with a heat index of 103. Welcome to summer.
These are my field peas growing along the side fence. I've picked, shelled and cooked one good pot load of these already, and it looks like it's about time to pick a few more.Sweet Million tomatoes growing in a bucket with the bottom cut out.
Yippee! Look at those lemons! My mouth is watering already. I'm so excited about this little tree. (I don't think you can honestly even call it a bush at this point. I just like to say "tree" about it.) :)Zinnias LOVE the heat. It doesn't bother them a bit, and they just bloom and bloom.
And have I mentioned that I have a LOT of cucumbers???
My neighbor gave me this bromeliad several years ago, and it is blooming again. Or to be more specific, one of its "pups" is blooming. Bromeliads only bloom once and then they die, but if you've given them a happy home, they will send up little baby plants of themselves all around the dying mother plant. Then, those plants will bloom. I like that.





Remember that little baby bird I found at my front door one day last year? I think it's some kind of egret, which is a shore bird. We are not at the shore, but apparently they have decided to colonize this area. They like the tall pine trees and there are nests in a number of them right around me. This one is in the yard behind ours.Here it is a little bigger. You still can't tell much about it, but I've had my eye on it. There are baby birds in there that have been hatched and are now being bed by Mama Bird. And yes, those white streaks under the nest are just what you think. Last year a family of them nested over another neighbor's driveway. Can I just say - it was messy over there!
Well, what with going outside to move the sprinkler and then getting caught up in something else out there that needs doing, it is now 11:30. And for those that are interested - it is now 91 degrees with a heat index of 99. Oh boy, time to work INSIDE!
Have a great day!
Hugs and kisses,

Elaine

4 comments:

Nanette Merrill said...

So lovely Elaine. I can see how much work you put into it. I wish I had little green tomatoes.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Oh, I feel for you and the heat. I did not know that you live in Houston.....so I know how bad the humidity is there. My husband's folks lived there.....one year we took the children to the zoo. My mother-in-law, bless her heart, was used to the humidity and wore a dress and looked fresh and pretty....I looked like I had just stepped out of the shower...a man walked around the corner at the zoo, and he was as damp as I , smiled at me and said "I can tell you are not from here either!" We both laughed as we dripped away in our on direction. Your garden looks wonderful! So worth the work. blessings, Kathleen

Susan said...

Elaine, I enjoyed the video and I imagine the heat. We are warming up here. Everything at your place looks so inviting like I could come right on in and pick me some veggies.

Patsy said...

Hi Elaine thanks for stopping by. We lived in Texas for 13 years so I sure know about your summer times. We still do our Bible study with Berachah Church in Houston.
Patsy