Saturday, January 7, 2012

Meet Hetty

Hetty is one of our little flock of hens.  I am ashamed to say that it took me a while to notice that she is blind.  Our granddaughter was the first to figure out that something was not quite right back when they were all just a few days old.  I did mention at the time that I should probably not leave her in the world to suffer.  And I didn't.  She's not suffering.



Hetty has developed a system of bobbing and weaving her head to navigate.  Obviously she can't carry a white cane, so she uses what she has - her head - to feel her way around.  And she does well.  The other chickens don't bother her and they don't mistreat her.  And she does lay an egg most days.  The challenge is just in finding it before I step on it, because she does not find her way into a nest.  She's had no problem finding the food and water though and appears to be perfectly healthy and happy.


 Mr. Muddling and I had a few errands to run this afternoon and I couldn't resist bringing home a few flowers.  After putting them in a pot I put them outside the sewing room on the window ledge.  Aren't they pretty?
And of course Chloe had to check and be sure I had done it right.  That cat!  LOL

No sewing today, but that's okay.  It's good just to spend time with my Honey!

Hope you're having a good time, too.

Hugs and kisses,

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Maybe Hetty is a lesson to us--- you never miss what you've never had.....Great Story. Build her a nest close to the ground maybe...hidden..

Susan said...

Ms. Hetty is such a pretty "chick". Interesting to learn how she manages without sight. Your flowers look nice. I have to wait until March to plant anything new (that's when it starts to warm at night). Good to spend the day with mister (I did that too).

Karen said...

What a very lucky chicken. Wonderful to see!

Thimbleanna said...

Beautiful flowers Elaine! And how interesting about Hetty -- she's so pretty. I'm glad the other girls don't hurt her. Is it very common for a chicken to be blind?

Susie Swanson said...

Oh I like Hetty, she is a lesson to us all.. I love those flowers, they remind me of spring sooo much.. May get me some and put them in the window..have a nice Sunday..Susie

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Hetty is well loved and looked after......she will do well. I have a rooster, Norman, who lost one eye in a fight. He has done well. He's bigger and more brave than the other roosters. Should name him Rooster Cogburn now.....don't you think?? Lovely flowers! blessings, Kathleen