Friday, August 9, 2019

Playing Around in the HOT Summertime

My sister Carolyn told me she had bought a new dining table and chairs. I made her a little table topper. She likes blue! There are lots of the framed nine patches left over. I'm sure they will grow into something else one day.
 
I had the idea to make a jelly roll of neutral fabrics, make a jelly roll race quilt, and put something on it that would make it a little bit patriotic for the USO. This is my creation. Not sure how much I like it, but I'm sure it will be better looking once it's quilted. No idea how long that will be. The latest word is several weeks before my longarm parts come back home.
Amazon is always tempting me. I saw this book and had to order it. I like the idea of using those big coffee filters as backing for circle strings. I have a big box of those filters out in the garage that I bought by mistake years ago Sometimes being a packrat pays off!
It took several hours to make these two circles, so I'm not sure how long it will take to make enough for a quilt top. Those "storage containers" aka ice cream buckets. hold one inch and one and a half inch strips cut from fabric leftover from other projects. Makes it easy to grab some ready cut for a project.
I am amazed there are still pretty things to be seen outside in this heat! At the lower right you'll see my harvest of muscadine grapes that grow on the east side of the chicken yard. I remember muscadine preserves my grandmother made so many years ago.
The lower left is a box of peaches we bought recently. Mouthwateringly delicious!
 
I am thankful for a comfortable home with air conditioning! And I am thankful for the gift of sewing. I would say it keeps me out of trouble, but we both know that's not always true!
 
Hope you are having lots of pretty things to see and do where you live!
 
Hugs and kisses,
Elaine
 
 

4 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Coffee Filters as a foundation for string piecing? Brilliant!! I'll be looking forward to seeing progress on this project.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

How pretty the little quilt is and I love your jelly roll creation! Your plants look so pretty...........it has gotten up o 107 here and all week has been 100 plus temps. I am staying in the air conditioned house and stitching away!

Karen S said...

Not sure how I missed this post. Love the blue table topper. That is a lovely idea for a gift.
And I do like your creativity with the neutral jelly roll. I like the result and think it works.
It looks like you are looking for cooler days while I am hanging out for more sunshine. I think we all get a bit impatient towards the end of a season.

Sheila said...

Love your patriotic neutral race quilt. Sorry to hear your machine is still at the shop.
It's getting cooler/cold at night now and my summer gardening effort is playing out. Now planting some fall crops.