Friday, November 16, 2007

Chickens




Anyone who thinks chickens are cute and cuddly doesn't know chickens. I like chickens. My husband humors me in this, but doesn't understand this fetish of mine at all.


I think the thing I like most about them is that they are so industrious. Chickens are always doing something. The trick is to have them do something you want them to do. For instance, I want them to make compost from all the hay, leaves, vegetable parings (and let's face it -chicken poop) in their yard. I also want them to make eggs. We like fresh eggs. What they would prefer to do, however, is to get into one of my vegetable gardens and tear it up, or a flower bed - that would work nicely for them as well. And lately I also have to disabuse them of the notion that they can hatch any of their eggs. There is no rooster out there. Those eggs will not hatch. But now and again they will hide a clutch of eggs from me for a few days in the vain hope that they will indeed hatch. Not happening.

No comments: