Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Yesterday's Wisdom






How true it is that we usually don't value what we have until we don't have it any more. Or in the words of the old country song, "You don't miss the water 'til the well runs dry".


As I was preparing lunch today, I was thinking about my grandparents. I was unusually blessed to have both sets of grandparents all the time I was growing up. I was especially close to my paternal grandmother, and not a day goes by that I don't miss her. She lived the longest of the grandparents, until I was a grandmother myself.


I learned so much from all of them. They were Godly men and women, my maternal grandfather a pastor, all pillars in their local churches and respected in their communities. They had all lived through The Great Depression and knew how to stretch their resources. They knew sadness and loss, but all came through that fire of testing strong, faithful, and with a great sense of humor. They showed me that a good laugh will always make you feel better.


Both my grandmothers were excellent seamstresses, cooks and gardeners, and my grandfathers could turn their hands to most anything that needed to be done. How I'd love to go back and really listen in all those times I just let their wisdom pass by unheeded.


Hope you're listening to that wisdom!
Have a great evening.
~Elaine~

1 comment:

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Thank YOU for peeking at my blog!
I have entered you into the giveaway;it is always a joy to meet another Sister in Christ.
Come back for more - I will be back to visit you!