Wednesday, January 13, 2010

This Quilt Top Is a Quilt Bottom

I've been working on the backing for the Christmas quilt (I know, I know Christmas is over). I decided to make the quilt reversible (especially since Christmas is over).

Well, I've been working on that other side for the past few days. I'm using Charm Packs of Charisma and Nostalgia, with just a touch of Louisa thrown in for fun.


Anyway, I thought I would share my brilliant idea for keeping up with what I'm doing. As we found out, I'm not going to have a design wall around here anytime soon. And frankly, I'm just not there for crawling around on the floor. So, that leaves the dining room table, since most of my best work time is in the middle of the night when Mr. Cutie Pie is occupying our bed. Somehow it doesn't seem like a good idea to spread out my work on top of him. :) Obviously the whole big quilt top/bottom will not fit on the dining table, so I have to move it into the sewing room to get more of it onto the table. And I don't know about any of you smart people, but I have a tendency to forget which end is up sometimes. So I hit on the idea of pinning a safety pin at the top of each row of quilt squares after I pin them together. I've also been known to mix up the order of the rows I've so carefully laid out. So, I've started marking the back of the top square with its own little order number. (See the number 2 above?) I'm using a marker that will wash out, but even if it doesn't, who cares? It's on the back side of the fabric that will be sewn to the batting and never seen anyway. I'm going to start sewing these squares and rows together tonight. We'll see how far I get.

In other news, Bruno finally got a bath tonight.He had just about given up hope. It's been so cold I just hated to get him wet.
But now he's clean and happy. My little boy doesn't like to be dirty.
He likes to get dirty. He just doesn't like to stay that way! Doesn't he look excited?
Hope you've had a good day.
Hugs and kisses,

8 comments:

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Bruno is adorable! The quilt.....as always...has the most charming colors! I do exactly as you....even though I have a sewing space, the dining room table offers such a great place to lay things out. Have a great weekend, blessings,Kathleen

Melanie said...

I love the Nostalgia fabric line, I have a layer cake and jelly roll tucked a way for a project real soon.

Thimbleanna said...

I always stick a pin in the first block of a row too. I haven't used your numbering system though -- thanks for the tip!

Susan said...

Good idea! I totally lost my place when I made my Christmas pinwheel quilt and lucky for me it didn't matter. But when I worked on the wedding quilt it drove me nuts trying to keep it straight. I ended up putting the twin bed in my sewing room to use as my design wall until I can get one.

Margaret said...

Yes trying to remember which way you put squares down and picked them up is a problem I think both your ideas are great. I have just found a tutorial on the 9 squares and then to cut them isn't it great. Bruno looks rested. Your Texas boy Lance is in S.A. or the big ride.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I sure love the photo of Bruno. He's a great dog. Your Christmas quilt is so pretty with the lovely colors. As always you do wonderful work.

Nanette Merrill said...

Your dog is darling. I like the idea of reversible quilts.

Miri said...

I too have no design board and no place for one!I've tried lots of ways...now I just take photos!

This will be a gorgeous "back".