Friday, February 12, 2010





I've added a button on the upper right for something dear to my heart. It's a charity quilt being made in Australia to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation there. Here, I believe is the original link. And here's the flickr group. (By the way, the painting above was done by a sweet friend of ours, Diane Apple, an artist here in Houston.)


Our daughter was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis shortly before her second birthday. We were told at that time to prepare ourselves, that she most likely would not live beyond her tenth birthday. This is not what parents want to hear forecast for their first child together. We also have another daughter who was a newborn at the time. Thankfully, testing determined that she does not have the disease.





Miss Ru is twenty-seven years old now and a beautiful lady. I have been inspired often by her courage and grace in confronting a disease for which there is no cure. We've learned over and over again to listen to the people on her medical team, but to trust yourself more than you trust them.






Chronic illness is not a thing I would wish for anyone. It takes a toll. As Ru tells me sometimes, "I know God doesn't give us more than we can handle, but I sure wish He didn't trust me so much."
Basically, I just wanted to share with you all a little personal bit of my life. I know that each and every one of you has your own burden to carry, and what might seem insurmountable to one is just daily work for another. But it's good to remember that no one is immune to the storms of life. We all go through them. I'm thankful for so many things - a wonderful husband who is always there when we need him, family and friends who love and pray for us, and you, my dear blogging friends. I've enjoyed getting to know a bit of your lives and seeing the beautiful, creative things you're doing. We provide a bit of an outlet for each other, don't we?




Most of all, I'm thankful for a Friend who sticks closer than a brother, Jesus Christ.





Thank you for being bloggy friends!




Hugs and kisses,


7 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

As a co-worker once told my very young self -- "Into every life, a little rain must fall." Isn't it amazing how medicine has advanced? Probably when you daughter was born, that was the common prognosis? But now, it seems that's changed a lot. Your daughter is beautiful Elaine. I hope you have a Happy Valentine's Day!

Susan said...

Sounds like your beautiful daughter has a beautiful sweet spirit. God is good to give us the strength to persevere and her pretty smile tells me she is a blessing to those who meet her.

Nanette Merrill said...

It is hard to see our family suffer. Your daughter is beautiful.

Nettie said...

Your daughter is beautiful Elaine: but of course you know that already! I am pleased that God had other plans for her, than the ones the docs thought of, by His grace she is a blessing and a courageously beautiful young woman Love to you and your special family, I am so pleased to have met you on the net xxx

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Elaine,
You have a beautiful daughter. Thank you for sharing your faith. This is a great encouragement to me. Have a blessed week.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Your daughter is beautiful. Everyone goes through trials and sufferings. It is always good to find those who can help. Blessings,Kathleen

Terrace Crawford said...

I spoke last weekend on faith... and I've been hearing stories of faith all week.

Ringing the Bell for Barry today: http://bit.ly/awIPJm


--Terrace Crawford
www.terracecrawford.com
www.twitter.com/terracecrawford