Monday, October 15, 2012

New Blocks



I've been playing the past couple of days with some "tube quilting".  I've done these blocks before and they are a lot of fun.  I saw them quite a while back on the wonderful Missouri Star Quilt Company's YouTube tutorial page.  Here's a link to this one. You should be able to open the video by clicking on the highlighted text.

I'm using the 1930's reproduction fabrics. 

As you can see, there is a nice little stack of these blocks growing.  I'll press the rest, probably tomorrow (later today) and start arranging them on my design wall.  More on that later.

I started out sewing the strips together on the treadle machine on Saturday and then switched over to this Singer Model 237 when I got tired of treadling.  It is a perfect little workhorse and sews like a dream.

Tonight I sewed on my little Singer Model 99 with the knee control.   This  beauty was manufactured in 1927!
 
 I can't decide which machine I like best.  I guess I'll just have to be impartial and love them all.  I really admire the craftsmanship that went into these old machines.  Can you imagine any of the sewing machines being made today lasting that long?
 
Now to finish cleaning the stove and then I'm off to bed.
 
Have a good day!
 
Hugs and kisses,

4 comments:

Karen said...

As you know, I love these blocks. There are so many wonderful variations. Such fun.
All those machine choices. Wow!

Nanette Merrill said...

hmm, I love scrappy blocks. I'll have to look at that video. Just yesterday I was on you tube searching for a way to make a certain block. I love that we can learn anything from you tube.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I know how you feel about old sewing machines, they truly are wonderful! I love reproduction prints!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

The tube quilting sounds interesting. I love the fabric. I also like old sewing machines. We used to own an old treddle machine. I'm glad you have one and still enjoy sewing on it. Thanks for the link to the tube quilting. Have a wonderful week.