Sunday, July 13, 2014

Progress

The Churn Dash quilt for Quilts of Compassion "Quilts for the South" quilt drive is completed. Finally. I had these blocks already made. (That's the thing about churn dash blocks - they are a tiny bit addictive once you start making them.) I sashed, cornerstoned and bordered those blocks, then got it quilted, trimmed and bound. Now it is ready to go. That makes two completed from me.

This one was made by my friend Phyllis. She thought it would make someone happy to have a western-themed quilt, and I'm sure she's right. It is such a vibrant quilt. I wish you could see it in person, and don't you love that red wood plank fabric she used as backing!

I also very much like the label Phyllis put on this quilt.

Meanwhile out in the back yard, things are growing still, even in the heat and one of our silly chickens is trying to hatch a stone egg. The center photo is figs on that tree behind the chicken in the photo on the left. They are juicy and delicious! I've canned a dozen half pints of fig preserves. Some of that is on its way to my mother. It is one of her favorites, so I'm very glad we have had a harvest this year. It was so dry the past few years that there were very few figs. This year, thank God!, we've had plenty of rain, so the tree is loaded with figs.

And.......Miss Ru is being transferred to the Houston Medical Center this morning, as I type, for evaluation as a possible lung transplant recipient. It's just the first step of a very long process, but it IS a start.  Thank you all so much for your kind emails, thoughts, and prayers for our family during this time. It means so much to us all. I show Ruthie your comments and emails and she is so grateful. I wish you could see that gorgeous smile in person!

I am so thankful for so many things. We had a pastor years ago who used to tell us not to expect "to float through life on flowery beds of ease", and that's certainly true. There is a reason the Apostle Paul told his son-in-the-faith Timothy (1 Timothy 6:12) to FIGHT the good fight of faith. Life is often a fight. But the good news is we win!  I've read the back of the Book.

If you don't know the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, I truly hope and pray that you get to know Him, because the day will surely come when you will be glad you do!

Hugs and kisses and lots of love,

6 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I don't know that I've ever eaten a fig.

I love the four patch center of your churn dash quilt! I might do that when I finally make my churn dash quilt. I love Phyllis' label. My labels have part of 1 Cor 13 on them.

I'm glad to hear that things are progressing for your sweet Miss Ru. I continue to hold her (and you and Mr. Muddling) in my prayers. {{hug}}

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I love fig trees and the just wont grow here on the grounds. Love the pretty quilt. Tell Miss Ru that hugs and prayers are being sent to her from out here on the prairie. Let us know how she does. Hang in there prayers for you as well dear friend!

Karen said...

The scrappy churn dash blocks look great. I hadn't thought of making them like that. Another lovely quilt.
Good to see the process in motion for Miss Ru.

Thimbleanna said...

I love that scrappy churn dash Elaine -- it looks great. I was going to say that it's amazing that you get so much done with all the worry about Miss Ru, but I know that it helps to have needlework to keep you busy. Sending more hugs for this week!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I hope and pray things are going well with Miss Ru and she will be able to have a lung transplant.
I love the quilts and your plants.
God bless,
Brenda

Susie Swanson said...

Love the quilt. I'm still praying for Ms. Ru and your family. Ya'll have been in my thoughts as well. I hope everything is has went well. Hugs and Blessings, xo