Thursday, October 30, 2014

Progress and an Outing

There has been more progress on this quilt top. I think I'll call it Chicken Strips. What do you think? It makes me smile every time I see it.

My friend Phyllis and I went to Quilt Festival today. We were privileged to visit for a few minutes with this very nice award winner,  Sandi Snow from Lutz, Florida. (Don't you love that her t-shirt matches her quilt?!!) The name of her quilt is "Dotting Inside the Box".  We were surprised to learn from her that she quilted it on her regular sized domestic sewing machine! She said that she used a rolling ruler to get those circles so perfect.

This is the fortieth (or RUBY) anniversary of Quilt Festival in Houston and there was a magnificent display of red quilts. You know I was happy about that.  This one, "Lady at Her Spinning Wheel" by E. Marilyn Fuller was so intriguing to me. Didn't she do a wonderful job of painting a picture with just red and white blocks? 

This one, "Canola Fields" by Leah Gravells of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, was impressive to me as well. She made it as a quilt-as-you-go using 199.......are you ready for this? - 3/4 inch strips of batik fabric! So pretty.

Here's another good one, "Fireball" by Candace Phelan of Wellington, Florida, using 3,300 -  1 1/8 inch circles. The technique is raw edge applique. My mouth was just hanging open.


This one is "Voldemort" by Robin Williamson of Carrollton, Texas. In the card describing it, she says that she actually enjoyed constructing it of 3/4 inch strips. 

This one is "Storm II" by Gabrielle Paquin of Orleans, France. It is her original design representing what happened between earth and sky in a storm. What is impressive about this one is that it is made totally from men's shirting fabric.

We did not even begin to see all the quilts that were there. I'm hopeful I'll get to see more this weekend with Mr. Muddling.

I hope these pictures have inspired you as the real things inspired us!  There are so many talented quilters out there, and each one has their own style. Isn't it fun that there are no rules as to how you express yourself in your quilts!

Hugs and love,

7 comments:

Sheila said...

Unbelievably Awesome! 3/4" strips! Awesome. Thank you for sharing pictures. How do people think up these techniques.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Thanks for the photos from the show. It makes me want to go trim scraps down to 3/4".

I think Chicken Strips is a great name for your quilt!

Karen S said...

I love the name Chicken Scraps. There is no way you can change that now.
I always dream of being able to go to the quilt festival in Houston. Make sure you enjoy it for me as well!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Chicken Strips ... a perfect name!

How lucky you were to go able to go to Quilt Festival ... quilt shows are always inspiring, especially ones the magnitude of the AQS shows and Quilt Festival.

Annie said...

Loved seeing some of the quilt show...some of our girls from Oz are over there...very inspiring...makes me want to sew...but I have to tidy up first in my sewing room and that is putting me off.

Empty Closet Quilting said...

Chicken Strips! I love it!!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I'm glad you got to attend the quilt show. Sounds like an awesome show. I love all of the quilts.