Friday, March 6, 2015

A Wedding Gift

A friend of ours is getting married this month and I told him I'd like to make a quilt for him and his bride. He asked her what colors she'd like and she said "patriotic". Perhaps because he is an Army veteran.  Anyway, this is the finished product. It is definitely red, white and blue!

I've had this flag stamp fabric for a long time, and it seemed to be the perfect backing for this quilt.

Here's a little closer look at the backing in all its quilted, washed and dried and crinkly glory.

Since it IS all about love, I replaced the blue star in the center with this little heart in a red star.
I really like how this one evolved and became. I hope they like it!

We have had cold weather here that seems to keep coming back, just when you think it's gone! I know a lot of you have had more of that than we have, but still. Enough is enough. Thank God for flowers in the house! I love the little African violets. They bloom several times a year, usually just when I need a spot of beauty They're nice that way.

I found this beauty hidden away in the back yard. I had no idea there was a bloom on that rose bush. I brought it in just before the latest round of freezing nights. Another spot of brightness and beauty here inside!

And speaking of brightness and beauty, would you look at what Miss Ru's friend Dawn sent all the way from the UK!!  She make a couple of bracelets and a key chain for me and another key chain for Mr. Muddling. They are gorgeous!  Each one has little commemorative touches. And what makes them even more precious to me is the fact that Dawn battles MS. I know it was not easy for her to make these and when I mentioned that to her, she responded, "Pain is a reminder I'm lucky enough to still be alive."

Dawn is a beautiful lady, just as Miss Ru was. They met on a chronic pain online group. Looking at Ruthie before she become so ill, you would never have guessed the pain she endured on a daily basis. Because she did not talk about it unless she just had to do it.  I know that there are many who have even worse struggles that are not visible to those with no knowledge of their situation.  I try to have mercy on those I encounter who may not be the kindest ones around. After all, I don't know. We could all use some mercy, couldn't we?  

I hope you've had a wonderful week and that you have a great weekend in store! I am thankful for each and every one of you.

Hugs and kisses,

7 comments:

Annie said...

I love the quilt. The backing is fabulous and the little red heart just makes it special. I'm sure they'll love it.

Wonky Girl said...

I love all the quilts you have made. You would not know I'm around but I am, just not commenting much. What a keepsake the jewelry is. Sorry about your Miss Ru, I didn't know.....
If you can stand more blocks, I'm trying to sort out what's in my stash. Been finding way more swap blocks than I will ever get into tops. Ha, let alone finished quilts. There are some sampler blocks, brights on black that you may like. mailing as soon as I find them again. (((Hugs))) Take care.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a wonderful wedding quilt. I love the heart in one square, just perfect. I know they will love it. That backing was perfect.

Sheila said...

Beautiful quilt, Elaine. They will love it. Thank you for sharing pictures of your flowers. I'm so ready for some warmer temperatures. Such a lovely gift from Dawn. Truly we could all use some mercy.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

That's going to be a PERFECT wedding gift - the heart in the center is what makes it so perfect. That jewelry is such a sweet gift ... so precious.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Elaine -- this might be my favorite quilt of yours yet (do I say that all the time LOL?) I LOVE this one! The colors are perfect and how sweet to include the heart. And how wonderful to have such a sweet gift from Miss Ru's friend. XO

Karen S said...

Your wedding quilt is wonderful. What a beautiful gift. Great fabrics and the backing is perfect!!!
The jewellery gifts are gorgeous. How very thoughtful!!