Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Cooperative Jelly Roll Race

My friend Sandy finished this jelly roll race quilt top several weeks ago. We decided that I would quilt it, but I have been a little slow getting it done. it is finished now though and I think quite an effective quilt!

I gave it a split personality backing - a little over half tropical birds in jungle trees and the rest underwater life. Buddy thought it would be all right. 

Here you can see both sides of the backing with the front. It IS a colorful quilt!

I stopped work on the half square triangle quilt top because I had an idea. I read on Bonnie Hunter's blog about her setting blocks alternately with hourglass blocks which formed an on point setting. Of course I had to try it. I used my Go! cutter to cut quarter square triangle blocks which I am alternating with 6 1/2 inch blocks of colorful Kaffe Fassett, Philip Jacobs florals. So far, so good! I do love it when a plan I try works! Bonnie's alternate blocks were her Chunky Churn Dash, but I cheated and just used fabric cut to size.

Mr. Muddling is especially fond of this light wheat bread, so I try to keep it on hand. It's really easy since it's made in the breadmaker. I know I cheat!

We had some really cold weather here earlier and it damaged some of our flowering shrubs, but some of them seem to be making a pretty good display anyway. I think I may have lost the pink Angel Trumpet by the chicken yard, but the yellow one on the other side of the back yard is already starting to put out new growth. The azaleas in the front are not nearly so fully bloomed out as in recent years, but I'm still mighty glad to see what's there. Springtime is such a hopeful time of year, don't you think? I am always so optimistic. That's a good thing!

I hope your hope meter is high with lots of good things being expected by you for you. Because you deserve them!

Hugs and kisses,

6 comments:

Connie W-H said...

I've not done a quilt backing out of two fabrics but what a great look. It goes well with the quilt. Great idea

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- I can't believe your flowers are blooming already! We're thinking about spring up here -- it definitely hasn't been as cold as in past winters. Can't wait to see what your new quilt will be -- sounds very intriguing!

Sheila said...

LOVE the jelly roll quilt. I often piece the backings on my quilts, too.
Beautiful flowers. Though our yellow daffodils are blooming this week, it's still to cold to plant annuals because we can still get cold temperatures, ice and snow.

Susie Swanson said...

Love the quilt and the backing is very pretty. I can't believe your flowers are still blooming either but you stay more warmer than we do. My Daffodils are blooming already but we've had a warm winter so far. Will be watching for your new quilt. Blessings and Love.

Karen S said...

Well done on the jelly roll quilt. Love the bright fabrics both front and back! Great work from both of you.
I will have to check out Bonnie's ideas again. I must have missed that one.
Glad to see your garden coming good!

Annie said...

Jelly roll quilt looks good