Thursday, October 19, 2017

Don's Quillt


Don is a friend of ours from church. He is one of the bravest people I know.  Don has been battling ALS (Lou Gherig's Disease) for a while now. It is a fight each and every day. 
In his former life, Don was very active physically. He enjoyed climbing mountains, among other things. I wanted to convey the sense of mountains somehow in this quilt and this is what I did.


His sweet darling wife Betty told me he is also fond of bears and dogs, hence the backing.


In my book, he is still a mountain climber, even if the mountains are of a different kind.

Here is the quilt after a run through the washer and dryer.

And the bear!

This is just how it started. I had some fat quarters of a McKenna Ryan line which I cut in strips and sewed back together, along with some batiks, to form a sort of landscape for the background of the many strips portraying the mountainous landscape with only a little bit of sunshine thrown in for happiness. 

Don has just completed rehab and is back at home now after a fall and a broken hip. Yes, more mountains to climb. And by the way, he loves his quilt!

With Hurricane Harvey and all the extra rain we got, the fig tree decided it might be Spring again and put out a lot of new fruit. Most things, though, just had so much water they retreated to rest until a new day.



On the plus side, the African violets in my kitchen window has gone wild with the blooming! I love it! Oh, and the vegetable beef soup was mighty good, too! Not soup weather yet, but we're getting there.

I know I've been absent from here for far to long. I've been struggling physically and having a hard time even getting around. I'm seeing a new doctor and have started a medication that shows promise. There is hope! And that's a very good thing. I'm thankful.

I do hope all is well with each and every one of you. We are all mountain climbers in our own way.

Hugs and kisses,

5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I hope you find relief with the new medication. There are so many health surprises as we age.

Sheila said...

Don's blue quilt is wonderful. I'm not surprised he was pleased.
Love your pictures. Flowers. SOUP! My sister and I made creamy chicken soup and Mexican cornbread for dinner tonight. Like you, we though it was a little early for soup, but we were hungry for some comfort food.
I hope you feel better soon, my dear.

Thimbleanna said...

Awww, Elaine - I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. I hope your new medication will help. Another wonderful quilt -- you're such a sweetheart!

Karen S said...

Your quilt is wonderful. I do enjoy seeing the combinations you use and how you choose designs for different people. This one works so well for Don and I can understand why he likes it. Well done!
Sorry to hear you are not feeling great and want to sent you my best wishes. Hope you have success with new doctors and new meds.

Unknown said...

Its a great experience to share with us ..... Thanks,
Crude Oil Tips Free Trial

Free Mcx Trading Tips