Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Where Are All The Heroes

Each week a lady in Louisiana sends me and many others an email newsletter. I've been reading her words of wisdom and wit for some time now and really enjoy her sense of humor and solid grounding. You can find her at: http://www.allthingssouthern.com/

Today as I read this part of her email it struck me that on this first day of the new year it would be a good idea to remember that there are always eyes watching us in everything we do. If we say we are Christians and yet act like heathens we will be judged hypocrites by the very ones we most want to influence for good.

"Where are all the Heroes?"

Years ago I watched Jessica’s dance teacher perform the finale in the season ending recital. The music was “Wind Beneath My Wings.” As Miss Missy twirled and spun about in a beautiful flowing costume, I watched the shining and awestruck eyes of her tiny students. By the time the music faded and the lyrics asked for the last time “did you ever know that you’re my hero”, I was only one of the grownups in the audience blinking back tears. Such a beautiful memory, but it begs a question. Where have all the heroes gone?

For all the money, attention and acclaim we throw at our celebrities they are all quick to point out that they’re no role model. On the one hand, you can’t blame them for the disclaimer. Our culture likes nothing more than taking a person and propelling them to fame and fortune, unless it’s tearing them down as soon as they arrive.

On the other hand, the role model issue is unavoidable. Mama used to tell my sisters and me that younger girls were watching us. I didn’t like hearing that then anymore than today’s celebrities seem to now. And yet-—the truth is pretty cut and dried for all of us.

Listen to Proverbs 10:17 from my amplified Bible. “He who heeds instruction and correction is not only himself in the way of life, but also is a way of life for others.” Neat stuff, but here’s the rest of the verse. “And he who neglects or refuses reproof not only himself goes astray...but is a path of ruin for others...” Try as I may, I can’t see any grey ground there. So, which is it? Are you a way of life for those that know you, or a path to ruin?

-Shellie Rushing Tomlinson


It's a beautiful day here in Houston, though it is going to be COLD tonight. Have a great day!
~Elaine~

No comments: