Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Fruit Bread


This is my favorite fruit bread in the whole wide world! I made some last night. The recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks, Doris Janzen Longacre's More-with-Less Cookbook. ( http://www.amazon.com/More-Less-Cookbook-World-Community/dp/083619263X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201024938&sr=8-1 ) The version I have is an older one - 1993, and very well used as you can see!

Everyday Fruitcake

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine in bowl:

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix 1/4 of this mixture with:

2 cups dried fruit assortment

3/4 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped

Set aside.

Stir together in large bowl:

3 eggs, beaten

1/4 cup honey

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate

Add dry ingredients. Mix well. Fold in fruits and nuts. Spoon mixture into 2 - 3"X6" or 1 - 4"X8" loaf pan, well greased and bottoms lined with waxed paper. Bake one hour or until well browned. Cool on rack 10 minutes, then turn out loaves and remove waxed paper.

I always double this recipe and use the little loaf pans that are about 2 1/2" X 4 1/2". Doubled, the recipe makes eight of these, and they do freeze well. I use dried peaches, apples, apricots, pears, prunes, raisins and craisins in mine. And I just spray the pans with a non-stick butter flavored spray.

I'm really trying to motivate myself to start sewing again, but so far without much success.

Have a great day!

~Elaine~


No comments: