Friday, April 17, 2009

My Favorite Quilt

I have to tell you - - - - this is my FAVORITE quilt. And that's a good thing because I have it on the little bed in my sewing room, so I see it every day.

I love it. It is so cheerful, and it has some of my very favorite things in the world in it - things like chickens and sock monkeys, coffee and children playing on sweet vintage material. And that great Mary Engelbreit fabric. It is just so happy it makes me smile, and that's a good thing!






We are going to get some rain today, and we need it again. It's a gray gloomy day, but I took a little time to walk out in the back yard before it got too dark and took a few pictures for you.



Our angel trumpet just frames that little gateway by the chicken yard.






Looking up through the angel's trumpet to the sky.

Walking on beneath the angel's trumpet you get to this view,




which has these little yummies that are ripening now. Want one?


On the other side of the yard is the red hibiscus that's been growing there for years in among the ginger lilies (which make a very good privacy screen, by the way).

The corn is growing like wild.


And did you know that you can take the core of a cabbage that you've finished with and just stick it in the ground and it will grow?!!! Oddly enough, you usually get two or three head from the core of one. How good is that?? Free food and multiplied at that. You can do the same thing with the bottom of celery bunches (there's one between the cabbage plants).
Have I mentioned before that FREE is my favorite word?
Have a great day!
Hugs and kisses,

25 comments:

Stephanie D said...

Wow, I knew you could do that with onions, but didn't know about cabbages and celery! Thanks for the info--I'll have to try that!

That really is a cheerful quilt--it must really brighten winter days for you. That's when I seem to crave color the most.

rachel griffith said...

really cute quilt.
your garden looks great.

Cathie said...

Your quilt is so pretty. It looks perfectly at home. Your garden is so nice - our spring hasn't come along that far yet. I used to grow a garden but work too many hours now.

Amy Sp said...

I love that monkey that's thrown in there. Good job!

Miri said...

Great quilt! I also like novelty fabrics tossed into the mix...they always put a smile on my face and make me think up a little story about them.

Jan said...

I love your bright quilt, and understand why it's your favorite. Thanks for the gardening tips, I love learning something new every day.

Kerri said...

such a great quilt!! i love the sock monkeys!!

Zonnah said...

Love the quilt, and thanks for the cabbage tip :)

em's scrapbag said...

That is a great quilt. I love the fabrics!

Kathy - Pink Chalk Studio said...

Your quilt makes me smile too, beautiful!

Jocelyn said...

What a cheerful quilt. And so great to be able to see it every day. The garden looks great. We have one planted, but it is moving very slowly :-)

Oiyi said...

I can see why it's your favorite. It's so cheerful.

Ariane said...

I love your quilt. It is very cheerful. Great job!

dutchcomfort said...

A very happy quilt and lovely garden pictures!

stitchinpenny said...

I love your quikt. Childrens prints are so special to me.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

I love the quilt, lots of red, lots of fun fabric!

Unknown said...

I love all your favorite things in the quilt! It's so cheery and colorful :) Thanks for sharing!

Michele/TextileTraveler said...

Adorable quilt. I can see why it makes you smile!

Quilt Rat said...

What a great quilt to be looking at daily! Love that black and white border! Enjoy the festival

Susan said...

Still loving this quilt :-)
The garden is looking good.

Granny Lyn said...

oh, you're right,,,it is sooo cheerful!! and bright! love it!

Kim said...

Quilts that make us happy should be kept close at hand :-)

Natalie said...

That is a really cute, cheerful quilt! Your garden is gorgeous too! Thanks for the tips, I'll have to try that sometime!

Nanette Merrill said...

Elaine that garden is lovely. I want that spot in my yard! And the quilt is very sweet. I can see why it is your favorite. Favorite fabrics make favorite quilts.

Kathleen Young, NM said...

Love the quilt;) And your garden is great too;) My favorite quilt is a "scrap" quilt I made when we first moved here to New Mexico...lots of memories;)
Happy Quilting!!