Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Things Move Pretty Fast

Not me, so much, you do understand that, but the turning of the season - that is what is moving really fast this year.  We had a very mild winter and now everything that can is blooming its little heart out.  You can see a bit of the azaleas there and next to them is a rather large pile of topsoil and aged cedar mulch we had dropped off today.

I spent a large part of the afternoon spreading mulch in some of the flower beds around the house.  Not nearly done, but I did make a start.

They do look so much happier with a layer of nice mulch.

I took this picture before this pretty azalea got its mulch, but it has a nice covering over the dirt now, too.  That's Carolina Jessamine on the lattice above it.  Pretty flowers and very nice fragrance, too.

My Meyer lemon is blooming all over itself.  We had a nice harvest last year.  I'm hoping for more of the same.

Our church youth group is raising money for a trip they are taking later in the year and one of our members, a young man, harvested 200 (yes, that's right two hundred) lemons from his Meyer lemon tree.  Those who chose took lemons home with them and froze the juice.  We'll have a bake sale with the products of those lemons this Sunday.  That's a pretty unique idea, isn't it?  It should be interesting to see what everyone brings.  I'm planning on lemon meringue pie myself.


These are still on my design wall.  We have rain forecast for later in the week, so I'm sure I'll get some sewing in then.  Until then, I'm playing outside!

Hugs and kisses,

4 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Unbelievable to have blooms so early! We had wind gusts exceding 50 mph so even though it was 65 it wasn't a good raking and clean up day.

Karen said...

Spring really has arrived! Looking great. And the mulch is definitely worth it.
Good luck with all the lemon fund raising.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh, you lucky girl! We're having a beautiful warm day up here today, but the cold will be back. And all those lemons! I'd love to have a lemon tree in my backyard!

Nanette Merrill said...

Lemons...I can't imagine what it would be like to pick one off a tree. I've picked peaches, pears, apples, but no lemons in our climate. Interesting. I love lemons. I love a church fund raiser too. Reminds me of my childhood. My mom was always doing something to raise money for the church. Good things.