Wednesday, February 12, 2014

New Toy!

I got an early Valentine's Day gift from Mr. Muddling on Monday.  The Singer 301 was sometimes referred to as the Featherweight's big sister.  It's still a lightweight machine compared to my Singer 201. I found this one at the online shop run by Elizabeth and her friend Betsy.  I've been reading Elizabeth's blog for a long time.  I so enjoy seeing her work on old sewing machines and make them functional and beautiful again. I knew it would be a good one, and it is! Isn't it pretty!!

Of course I had to see how it sewed, and I have to say - it does a really good job. Perfect stitches. I've had these charms for a long time. They're Moda, but I don't remember what line. I washed them and they are not perfectly perfect any more, but at least they don't give my skin grief, so that's good.  I made nine patches.

Then I cut 1 1/2 inches from the lower seam line, and again 1 1/2" from the right seam line - all the way top to bottom and side to side. Sort of a disappearing nine patch, but slightly different.

I have nine blocks sewn and this is probably how they will go.  With a border, it should make a good sized child's quilt.

I've almost finished machine appliqueing the circles onto the half square triangle squares.   This will be a BIG quilt, so it is taking some time. I am actively working on three quilts right now and we won't talk about how many more are clamoring for attention from backstage.

Lady and Bruno are staying comfy and warm on the fleece side of this quilt. That's the good thing about a fleece baking - you can use the cotton side for a little cover and the fleece side to snuggle.  We're in the thirties here right now, but we'll be in the seventies this weekend. 

I hope your sweetheart is as good to you as mine is to me!

Hugs and kisses,

4 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Yep, my sweetie is definitely a keeper! And so is yours ... a 301 for Valentine's Day ... awesome! I love your disappearing nine patch ... I've done a D4P ... I think I need to try a D9P, too!

Sheila said...

Th sewing machine a beauty! Yes. That man's a keeper : )
Sweet child's quilt in progress.
My how Lady has grown!
The potato casserole in your last post looked delicious. Thanks for the sweet potato tip.

Wonky Girl said...

That is quite a wonderful new toy. Have fun sewing on it!

magnoliasntea said...

Love your 301! I was looking for a beige one a while back but ended up with a black one. All three of my Singers are black. Love your quilting - your work is beautiful. I'm still a quilting novice as I got into quilting just a few years back and have finished only two quilts.