Friday, April 3, 2015

Making Quilts to Donate


My friends Phyllis and Sandy and I have been busy making quilts to donate to the USO here at Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston. There are a lot of service men and women transitioning through here going to various destinations. The people I've talked to who are in or have been in the armed forces have all told me that the USO is the one organization that has been the most helpful to them. I like to help people who are getting it right.
I know these are big, grown up men and women, but sometimes even tough guys like to remember sweeter things.

I think we all tried to include things that might make someone smile.

Or reminisce. 

But mainly we want them to know that we value their service, that they have not been forgotten. Hopefully they will feel the love and the prayers that went into each of these quilts as they rest under them on their way from here to there.
I am playing with these pretty fabrics now. Because of course there are always more quilts to be made. The flowers are Phillip Jacobs prints. I always enjoy playing with these bright vivid colors. The pale green in between is a Kaffe Fassett Liberty print. This particular project has gone through several false starts. Just when I thought I had it all figured out - I didn't. But I think I have it now. Perhaps it will find itself assembled soon. One hopes!

It has been so pretty here. I finally got our little garden planted with some tomato plants and cucumber seeds yesterday. I'm already looking forward with eager anticipation to fresh produce!

There are always things that can bog you down and make you fearful in this life if you allow them to do that. I choose to focus on what is good. God has been mighty good to me even in the midst of challenges. I am thankful for His many blessings. Most of all I'm thankful He loves me, even in my imperfection!

I do hope you're having a wonderful weekend, and that there are things that make you smile.

Hugs and kisses,

6 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Nice quilts and I agree, I like to help the organizations that are doing it right too. Every quilt should have a little quirk that brings a smile when the recipient discovers it.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

What blessings those quilts are ... even grown-up men and women need a quilt to wrap up in ... but the most important thing they need is to know that someone cares and values their service. What a blessing you and your friends are.

We had a light frost last night ... it's going to be a while yet before we can put out tomatoes.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilts! Good to know about the USO. It can be so confusing to know who to give to and this kind of info is so helpful.

Karen S said...

You are so generous with your wonderful quilts. It is good to know they are being welcomed.
Lovely work with the gorgeous flower blocks.

Thimbleanna said...

Fun new quilt Elaine! You're such a sweetheart -- I'm betting those quilts will be well loved by some tired travelers. I hope you had a wonderful Easter!

Sheila said...

Such wonderful quilts. I'm sure they will bring comfort and a warm smile to those that receive them. I agree with Thimbleamma. You are a sweetheart. Hope you had a nice Easter.