Saturday, May 23, 2015

Another Finish!

Yes, I finally sewed the binding on this one!  Yippee!  Two finished in a week. This is the one that I made with leftovers from two other quilts.  It will go the the USO soldiers' lounge at our local airport.  I like it!

I do love sewing on my "new" Singer Model 201. Quiet and powerful.

I combined a dark navy with a black and blue print. As you can clearly see on the right side, my quilting is not "all that"! But it gets the job done.

Right now I'm looking at and smelling these gorgeous gardenias. They are favorites of mine for so many reasons. I just wish they lasted longer. 

I woke up to a sunny sky this morning and went outside to take some pictures. I'm glad I did, because it is raining again now. The arching branches in the background photo are mimosa.  The inset photo, upper left gives you a better idea how much it is arching. The tree is in full, glorious bloom and the fragrance in the evening is so nice, almost like fresh peaches. Mimosa trees are called trash trees by some, but I like them anyway. There were always mimosas around everywhere I've lived in the South.


Also, the hydrangeas are blooming like wild. The little bush is in the upper right photo. There are both pink and purple blooms on the same plant. The other photos are of the same vase of blooms.  I actually followed instructions this time and burned the stem ends before putting them in water. They have lasted much longer. I took these pictures yesterday and they had already been in water several days by then. Those I've not burned only last a day before shriveling.  So, yes, it is a good idea to heed directions. 

I am working on two different quilts this weekend, and I had another idea pop into my head last night, so no boredom here, even in the rain. I am so thankful for this life I am privileged to live, for my sweet husband who supports me in all I do (even if he rolls his eyes sometimes!) and for the beauty surrounding me. 

I do hope you are having a simply wonderful weekend!

Hugs and kisses,

7 comments:

Karen S said...

Another wonderful finish. I love that this one came from lots of leftover blocks. Lovely backing, too.
Glad your machine is working well!
The flowers are lovely. There must be a beautiful perfume where ever you go!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Mimosas were a favorite of my mom. DD gave her one on her last Mother's Day, and my dad has babied that tree to keep it alive as a memorial of sorts.

I think your quilting looks fabulous! That's an absolutely gorgeous quilt! I like it too - a lot.

I think we're both blessed with men who are definitely keepers. My hubby asked, on our way home yesterday as we passed the exit to Paducah, if I'd made our reservations for next year's Show. I love that man!

Susie Swanson said...

Beautiful. you are a busy, busy lady. Your flowers are so gorgeous.. Hugs and love, xo

Margaret Stickland said...

I see you are still in the making of jewels, so creatively so. Hugs Margaret

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Miss Elaine -- you're such a sweetheart! Your RW&B quilts are just beautiful -- the lucky USO. And lots of bad news from your part of the world -- I hope you guys are staying high and dry. Also, what do you do with the hydrangeas? Do you just hold a flame to the end of the stem??? Interesting!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Elaine, I am so worried for you since it is flooding so bad in Houston. Please let us know that you are okay. Always such beautiful stitching. and the flowering trees are so pretty. Stay safe!

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt and its intended purpose. As a military wife, I love those who care for my spouse while we are apart. Thank you.