Thursday, April 23, 2015

So I Had an Idea

 I had these blue-bordered sixteen patch blocks left over from this quilt. Yeah, sometimes I get carried away.  Anyway, I did not have any more of this blue fabric, but I did have an idea.


I also had lots of 2 1/2" strips in red and beige leftover from this quilt.  It seemed to me a good idea to sew some of them together in segments.

And  this is what I've come up with so far. I'm using a different blue for the cornerstones, but I think it will work. The lady at the USO asked for patriotic colors and I think this will fit that request.



I've also done a lot more cutting of red, white and blue strips that will grow into more quilts.


There have also been some blue and white star blocks assembled that will play along with other units. It will be fun to see what happens. Yes, I'm muddling. Frequently. But I have fun with it, and that's definitely a good thing! I'm thankful to have something useful to do  that (sometimes) keeps me out of trouble. 


I'm also thankful for flowers. There are a lot of them blooming outside right now, but these little African violets are in my kitchen window and they make me smile, even while I'm washing dishes.

I hope there is plenty to make you smile, because you know - a merry heart doeth good like a medicine! Proverbs 17:22

Hugs and kisses,

8 comments:

Eggs In My Pocket said...

well, I love your idea! It is so pretty and patriotic in color and I think she will love it! We have a acres of wildflowers around us! So beautiful this time of year!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Leftovers are fun to play with. they turn into the best quilts!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I think your "improvisation" will produce a gorgeous quilt when it's all done.

Susie Swanson said...

You sure do make me smile with all the wonderful ideas you come up with. I love what you've done with this. Leftovers are so much fun to work with. Love your African violets. hugs and many blessings, xo

Karen S said...

Adding red is always to best solution when solving these problems. Works for me!!!
Love the idea of combining the left overs from two different quilts. I think the combination is very effective.
Those stars are looking rather lovely too. I will wait to see what they become!!
Let's celebrate muddling!!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Those beautiful African violets would make me smile, too. I love your quilt. The colors and the patterns are fabulous. You've done a marvelous job with this project and I'm sure you had a lot of fun with it.

Susie Swanson said...

I just wanted to pop back over to take another look at your beautiful quilt and Violets. I'm going to be gone for a while but hope to be back soon. Love you my friend, xo

Wonky Girl said...

Well, I've been down for a while but back now. Sending you a box of fabric and Churn Dash blocks. Have not run across the brights on black blocks yet. Anyway, the box has a nice wide mottled blue backing fabric, perhaps you can get two backs from it. As I come across any patriotic fabrics I'll cut you some strips. I'm thinking Missouri Star's "Summer in the Park" pattern would be really nice with R/W/B fabrics. Take care :-) and huggs from WonkyGirl. Oh, BTW- that blue fabric is pre-washed x's 2 so should not bleed.