Friday, August 7, 2020

Where Have I been


Most of the time I've been right here. I have been doing most of the things I usually do, except for getting out and about much.
I spent a lot of time working on this quilt for our daughter Mary. As I mentioned before, this is the third of these quilts I've made from the Sew Many Strips sewalong, a Tara Baisden pattern from American Patchwork and Quilting. I made a queen size first for Mr. Muddling and me, then a king size for our son and daughter in law and now another king for our baby girl. 

This is the original size.

Lots of pretties outside and inside. Flowers just make the world a better place, don't they?

This is Mr. Muddling's birthday cake. We had a sweet celebration with family enjoying barbecue and cake. Delicious!

Next, the figs ripened and I canned enough fig preserves to send some to each of my siblings and still have plenty for myself. Mr. Muddling does not like them.

Next, back to Mary's quilt and another couple of borders added to bring it up to king size.

Here it is after quilting.  I do love that wavy line quilitng. On pieces this small (each strip one and a half inches wide before sewing!) I want a lot of quilting and this seems to do the job.


Here it is getting its binding. Now it has been boxed shipped and has safely arrived in upstate New York and is on the bed!  Hurrah!  And Glory to God!
Next I had a birthday. Our sweet Houston children came over bringing Mexican food and we enjoyed a feast and good company. Yes, I made my own birthday cake and I don't mind a bit.

Now I've cut a new project with my Studio Cutter. This will be the Hugs and Kisses quilt from The Quilt Factory. My friend Sandy is going to sew this one for the USO Lounge at our local airport. Hopefully they will soon be able to reopen.

Sorry I've been so long away. I just was not in the mood to post. And if you can't find much good to say, sometimes it's better to say nothing. But I'm back now, and God is still good  and we can still trust in Him!

I hope all is well in your world.

Hugs and kisses,
Elaine

10 comments:

Susie Swanson said...

Love the beautiful quilt. It's so good to be able to hear from you as well. Thank you for the sweet words on mine. Sometimes we just have to step away from things and go back later. Glad you are staying busy and I love your pretty flowers. You take care and stay safe during these trying times. Lots of Love and Blessings.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Good for you getting up the energy to work on king size quilts for your kids. I stopped making them that big several years ago. Yes, flowers do make the world a better place, more smiles when people see them.

Happy birthday whichever day it was. I make my own cake too.

lil red hen said...

I LOVE that border!! I've made a quilt similar to this pattern but no pretty border went on mine :(

Karen S said...

Happy Birthday wishes to both of you. I hope you had a delightful day. And the cake is looking delicious!
Lovely work on that wonderful quilt. It looks great. I have just been sorting through my quilting magazines and that is one of the patterns that caught my eye. I wonder if in the back of my mind I remembered seeing it on your blog?
Lovely surprise to see it's the one you made. Now I am even more inspired! I think it is lovely that your family enjoys your quilts.

Karmen said...

You have been so busy! The quilt is a beauty...I cannot believe you've done 3. My next cake will be blue, since I love the color of yours do much. Happy birthday to you! Not liking fig preserves is a crime reserved for the curmudgeons. (smile)
Karmen

WonkyGirl said...

Sorry to have bugged ya, it's just because I care. 2019 wasn't a great year at my house. Couldn't talk about it. You have stayed busy ! Love your quilts, the B-day cake looks tasty and the new quilt will be awesome. (((hugs)))

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

The birthday cake looks so delicious. Happy Birthday to your husband. I love the quilts and your flowers.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

such beautiful work and as always, I love, love your quilts! You have such pretty blossoms. Happy birthday to your husband and the cake and barbecue sound like such a nice time! I suppose there will not be a quilt show this year in Houston because of the virus? I always thing you should enter at least one of your quilts!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Just stopping by to wish you a good day. I hope you will stay safe from the storms coming to Texas.

Gene Black said...

I hope your birthday was happy. Mine is at the end of this month - and I will be making my own cake also. I do it every year and have for a long time.
I say that it assures I will get a cake that tastes good and not a "pretty but tastes like the box it came in" cake. Haha. I don't mind a bit either, I love to bake. And I love making (and eating) fig preserves.