Friday, January 8, 2021

A Quilt for My Sister Sue


Have you ever had a quilt where everything in the world tried to go wrong? That was this one.  I have had such struggles with it, but I WON!

My sister Sue sent me fabric remaining from curtains she had made for her bedroom. She did not want a lot of fabrics or colors added as their room is small. I decided to cut out all the repeating designs of flower bunches and appliqued them on to off white squares. I combined them with squares of the same size in pin dot dark blue and a pale gray, along with nine patches in different blues and off whites with a bright coral thrown in once in a while just for the fun of it.

I was going to make more squares, but decided to call it a day with what I had.  I added a narrow border of the pin dot dark blue and a larger border of the off white, which is actually a white on beige. 

I finished it off with binding in the same dark blue pin dot. 

The backing is a very pretty mottled blue.  I am pleased with it. And I do not even want to think about how long it took to get it made. It is a king size, which is the size they need, and I think it will be quite attractive in their bedroom. I hope they will enjoy it for years to come!

My Christmas cacti are having a glorious time in the front window, and I am having a good time enjoying them each and every day. I am so thankful for the many things our good God has given us to enjoy!

I have been doing a bit more watercolors, but nothing I'm willing to show yet. I'm practicing and trying to get better. Improvement is good, right?

Our darling Mary remains with us for a little while longer. We are so thankful to have her with us, and I think she is glad not to hurry back to the snow and ice!

I hope your new year is starting off well. I believe it will be our best one yet! God is still in His heaven, and He still watches over the affairs of man. I know that the times are challenging to all of us, but I also know that we can trust Him!

Hugs and kisses,
Elaine

5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm happy to see your blooming cacti. I have one bud, the others are resting and I hope preparing for a second act.

hetty said...

Lovely quilt! Your flowering cactus plants are beautiful.

Karen S said...

Your quilt for your sister is lovely. Using her fabric as a starting point is a great idea and then combining the applique and patched blocks the way you did works so well. Great combination. I hope she loves it, too. It is very special.
Well done with growing the cactus so well. The flowers are stunning. Lovely lot of colour in the middle of winter.
Good luck with your water colours.

Thimbleanna said...

What a beautiful quilt Elaine! I'll bet your sister will love it. Is that you and your sister in your header photo? XO

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I agree with you.......this has just got to be a better new year and God is watching! I love your blogger photo.......it makes me miss the beach at Galveston. We used to always go there when our children were small. Such happy times! Love the pretty quilt. The colors and flowers circles are so pretty! How pretty your Christmas cactus plants are all together!
Happy New Year to you!