Tuesday, July 16, 2024

News from Muddle Manor

First I'd like to show you this fun "potato chip" quilt I finished for the USO. It was so easy and so much fun to make, and I think it turned out to be a quilt the USO Lounge at our local airport will enjoy.

This pretty one was made by my friend Sandy for the USO as well. I love the little extra zip she put on the backing!

This little cutie is a freebie from Taryn at Reproduction Quilt Lover.
Clicking on her name should take you to the free pattern if you're interested. It was fun. I cannot even pretend that I did a wonderful job, but I like it anyway! 
 

And now for the not so fun news. Perhaps you heard about Hurricane Beryl visiting our city on Monday. This is the aftermath in our back yard. The picture in the far right center shows the culprit - our neighbor's huge pine tree fell into our back yard, bringing with it parts of his pecan tree and doing a number on our fence, our chicken yard, and the greenhouse. We don't even have any trees in our back yard, so all that you see is storm damage.  That was Monday. 
We had a wonderful tree crew come in on Tuesday and clear all of that out. Now we just have to do repairs after the adjuster makes his report. We are still without electricity, but so thankful to have a whole house generator. And really thankful that tree didn't fall across our house instead! 
Our friend Sandy's house got a branch through the roof. It was right over their bed and had they still been in it, I do not want to think about. 
Through all this, God had been good. As always. There are many people here still without power. And it is really hot as it always is in Houston in the summertime (and lots of other times as well!)
But, we are a resilient country, I believe. There will always be challenges, but I believe our good God will help us to overcome them.
 
I really hope all is well for you and that you are finding fun things to do!
 
Hugs and love,
Elaine 
 

 

4 comments:

Gene Black said...

I am sorry to hear that you had to deal with that damage. The tail end of Hurricane Opal came through here a few years back and took out the top of one of my 5 pines. It broke my septic tank, which cost lots more than the insurance paid. I had all of those trees removed later.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I hope your insurance covers a good portion of everything you have to fix. It sounded like it was a terrible hurricane. We even got some rain from it here in northern IL so that shows you how much power it still had after it hit your area.

Julie said...

Hello Elaine, gosh your quilts are so gorgeous - you do such a beautiful job of them. I am so sorry to read of the damage from Hurricane Beryl. But I am pleased to read you have had some wonderful tree crew come in & clear the damage. I hope by now you have had power restored. I hate being without power as we have no water if the power is not working. Take care Elaine ... sending prayers & friendship to you x0x

Karen S said...

I am so late getting to this post.
Quilts first. You have so much fun with your quilts and this potato chip one is wonderful. I like how these can be so addictive. Lovely to see all that are being donated.
I was shocked to see your photos of all the damage done by the storm. It does look like you were lucky in that the house was not damaged, but you do have a lot of work ahead of you in the garden. I am glad the tree was cleared away quickly.
Good luck with all the work to come.