Saturday, September 21, 2024

Hot Time in the Summertime

 

Really, I am not even going to start about how hot it is in Houston, Texas in the summer. But it is!
Instead, let's look at this pretty blue and white quilt top. It is from the very talented Helen Philipps. I love visiting her so pretty blog.
I have since this picture added borders and it is ready to quilt, but I put it aside to start another quilt. I know. Big surprise.
 

For those of you who have been following my muddling for a long time, you may remember Mr. Muddling's sister Gloria who gave me LOTS of fabric. She was working at a donation thrift store and they were throwing fabric donations in the trash bin. I KNOW! Sacrilege!!! 
She asked her manager if she could have the fabric instead of throwing it away and they agreed. What a blessing to me! I was just starting out making quilts and as you know, fabric is very expensive.
Fast forward and Gloria asked if I would  repair a quilt I made for her years ago. It was in poor condition, so I said I'd much rather make a new one for her. 

 
Gloria is a lover of purple, so I started there, of course. (I am so thankful for my die cutter - Accuquilt Studio2 - makes it SO much easier to cut many pieces.)
 
I added in some colorful Kaffe Fassett and Philip Jacobs fabrics 

and some neutrals and got started putting half square triangles on the design wall.
 
And here we are so far. I have lots more cutting to make a queen sized quilt, and I would like to put more variety into this. Ah, the joys of a bountiful stash of fabrics! (And the gratitude for a husband who encourages me to add to it!)
 
So, at least I don't have to stay outside in that heat for long at a time. I can come back inside and enjoy a dive into purple!
 
I hope you're enjoying lots of wonderful things where you are. The world is so full of good things the Father has provided for us to enjoy!
 
Hugs and kisses,
Elaine

 



 



5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad she agreed to a new one instead of the repair.

Gene Black said...

I love the purple quilt you are working on - and I really love those two fabrics you added to it.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What a wonderful start on Gloria's quilt and what a fabulous selection of pretty purples. Have a wonderful weekend escaping the heat and working on this beauty. Hugs

Julie said...

Gosh you are so clever Elaine .. that is going to be one stunning quilt. I love the Kaffe Fasset fabrics - they are very unusual & quite striking. Its wonderful when fabric that thrift stores would throw out can be repurposed & used for something else. Have a lovely week Elaine. xx

Karen S said...

It is so hard to feel good in the heat. I am pleased you can keep sewing.
The blue quilt top is looking good. These 9 patches work so well with everything.
And that is a lovely start on the purple quilt. I'm with you - I would rather make new than mend!!