Thursday, March 11, 2010

Little Refurbishing

I was doing a little sprucing up of the dining chairs today and thought I would tell you how easy it is (for those of you who don't know already). It's amazing what a little time, fabric and tacks can accomplish!
These chairs were looking pretty tired around the seat cushions. That's what comes of plenty of people sitting on them eating lots of good food. Of course part of it is due to the cats who live here and feel free to nap anywhere they choose.

All you have to do is unscrew the seat from the chair. Usually there are four screws - one at each corner. You'll see them when you flip the chair over. You don't even have to take the old fabric off. Matter of fact, it's usually better not to take it off. Just cut your fabric to size. Do this by laying the seat on top of a piece of fabric. Measure so that there's about an inch overlap on all four sides. Then just round off your corners. If your chairs are all the same size, you can use that first cut of fabric as a pattern for the rest of the chairs.


Start by tacking or stapling each side. Then add a tack or staple to each side of those fastenings. Now, ease the corners and tack. Screw the seats back onto the chairs and you have a brand new look.


Now, doesn't that look better? I've had this fabric for a while now. And this is what I intended to use it for the whole time. I just hadn't gotten around to doing it. But now it's done, and I LIKE it!

As you can see, Chloe supervised the whole process. I wonder how I managed to accomplish anything before she came to live with us.

Have fun with your projects!
Hugs and kisses,

8 comments:

Annie said...

They look FANTASTIC. A little effort and a great result.

Miri said...

I've done this but your chairs look so much better than mine-that is gorgeous fabric!

Nanette Merrill said...

Very nice. I do this every few years. It makes a nice change.

Susan said...

Thanks Elaine, this reminds me that I have some chairs to do especially before small groups begin. Yours turned out beautifully. Isn't it nice to get projects completed?

Eggs In My Pocket said...

What a difference! So pretty! Chloe is such a purrfect helper! blessings,Kathleen

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Hi Elaine, I'm back to say that I have added a vintage embroidery design on my last post that you can click on and print off if you would like! blessings,Kathleen

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That new fabric looks SO much better!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Elaine,
Your chairs look fantastic. You've done a great job and they are so pretty. You are such a talented person.