Friday, March 5, 2010

Working


Remember these beautiful angel trumpets from last year?

This is what's left of the yellow one now, and I was mighty happy to see even those leaves showing!
Because this and three or four other cans just like it are all that's left of the two pink ones.
Here's Mr. Cutie Pie clearing out all the dead ginger lilies. They'll come back, for sure, but it looks pretty naked out there without them for a privacy screen in the back yard.

Here's another little sign of Spring - flower buds on the blackberry vines. The little blueberry bushes have some buds, too.

Our lemon tree is still alive, but it's lost most of its leaves. Fingers crossed that it will come back with more lemons this year!

The Carolina Jessamine near the front door looks pretty happy, though, doesn't it?


And these guys are our new neighbors. (The people haven't changed, just some added pets!) They are the sweetest dogs, and so friendly. I like them.






I had an "aha" moment the other day. I ran across a quilt pattern called "Grandma's Favorite Quilt Block Pattern". It just adds a framework of squares to the pinwheels blocks I'd already started.


I'm very happy with the addition! This is just four of the completed blocks. I laid them out on the bed to get an idea how they'd look.


What do you think?

Hope everything is going well in your world!
Hugs and kisses,

6 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

I like it! I love pinwheels anyway, so how could you go wrong? Looks like lots of spring popping up in your yard!

Susan said...

Wow, ginger lilies are that much work?!! and to think I was considering putting them in. Mr. Homespun wouldn't like it. But I do have some of the same plants you do now I am closer to your neck-of-the-woods. We have spent the last several Saturdays changing the whole landscape to tropical.
I love pinwheels and the quilt looks good!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Looks like spring is springing up all around you! Love the colors and the pattern of this quilt! blessings,Kathleen

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Elaine,
What a beautiful quilt. Signs are spring really make me anxious for spring. I hope you flowers, plants, and lemon tree do well this year. I sure want to get out and work in the yard soon. Those dogs are pretty animals.

Oiyi said...

Great to see signs of Spring! We don't have flowers yet, but the weather has been spring-like.

That quilt is looking good!

Millie said...

It is so nice to see you working in the garden...that is why you have this gorgeous garden in the summer, Elaine. Love the pinwheel top too.