Sunday, February 13, 2011

Three Things


1.  Bean Soup over rice.  Recipe - sort of - here, except this time with slices of smoked sausage instead of a ham bone.
2.  French bread, made in the bread machine and left to rise while the soup finishes getting done.
3.  Apple Crumb Top Pie.  Oh, yeah.  This is really good.  You can see that Mr. Muddling and I killed off a quarter of it at lunchtime today.  It was SO worth it!


I like a lot of apples in the pie, so I use one full can and half of another. (You can always freeze that other half and then you're ahead of the game next time around.) 
And I have the most amazingly easy pie crust.  It does not have to be rolled out.  You just sort of pat it into the pie pan and up the sides.  Perfect every time.

The recipe for that is:


TENDER PIE CRUST

Combine:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt

Mix:
1/3 cup cooking oil
2 tablespoons milk

Add liquid to flour mixture. Press into pie pan.
You may fill and bake or prick and bake to fill with unbaked filling.



I use my mixer to do this for me.  (Have I ever told you how very much I like this mixer?  I can't even begin to tell you how many of the hand held models I've burned up over the years making untold number of cookies each and Christmas!) 

I just put all the dry ingredients in the mixer bowl, and then as soon as they are mixed - slowly pour in the oil/milk mixture and let the mixer run until you have lots of lovely crumbs.


After that's all together (and you don't even have to wash the bowl in between) put in mixer bowl: 

1/2 cup (one stick) butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar. 

Again, I let my darling little mixer do the work for me.

When it's all mixed up, just dump it all on top of the pie filling in the pan, smooth it out a bit and bake at 400F until it starts bubbling through the crust.  I use a 9 inch pie plate that is just a little deeper than normal.

I got my misbehaving little square ripped out and sewn back in correctly last night.


And I made a start on sewing the sweet little hearts on to the quilt top.  So I guess it might be five things.  LOL

Hope you're having a simply wonderful day!

Hugs and kisses,

7 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

the pie looks delicious! I hate making pie crust so this looks pretty neat.

Anonymous said...

Coming along very nicely with the quilt, and thanks for the yummy recipes.

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh YUM! Looks like you had a wonderful weekend -- full of fabulous food! I love the idea of putting the soup over rice too!

Susan said...

Happy Valentine's Day!
My DH got in the mood for a fruit pie yesterday so it was cherry. Your pie crust looks delicious. I like to put my cabbage stoup (stew/soup) over rice. We eat alot of soups like tonight is my DH's favorite: split pea with ham.

Nanette Merrill said...

That is like 4 posts in 1. Your food looks delectable. Yum and the quilt is so cute. I love this idea.

Oiyi said...

All delicious looking and making my tummy rumble.

Calidore said...

Popped over from Annie (Flower Gardens blog). Thank you for the lovely pie recipe. I'm going to try that one. It looks fabulous.