Monday, May 27, 2013

Churn Dash Blocks


 
For those of you who have asked, here are the instructions I got from Sheila that she got from Sharon:
 
You have to think of the churn dash as a 9-patch block - then break those components for the size you need for the size block
a 9" finished block - each unit would need to be 3.5" (unfinished)  -  so 3.5" HSTs, the 'bar' sections would be 2" strips stitched together and then sub-cut into 3.5" , and a 3.5" center. 
a 12" finished block - each unit would need to be 4.5" (unfinished) - so 4.5" HSTs, the 'bar' sections would be 2.5" strips stitched together and then sub-cut into 4.5", and a 4.5" center.
 
 
I used the 4 1/2" units, simply because I have more 2 1/2" strips than any other size.  I also have the GO! die for half square triangles that finishes at a little over 4 1/2", giving me a very nice square after I trim it.  It doesn't take many of those 12 inch blocks to make a good sized quilt.
 
I hope you try this one and that you share!
 
Hugs and kisses,



9 comments:

Sheila said...

Looking good, girlfriend. It 's going to be fun watching your blocks come together.

Empty Closet Quilting said...

I'm glad to see those dimensions, because your quilt was tempting me. Thanks for a nudge in the right direction!

Angie said...

You are so sweet to share these dimensions with us. I've thought about this quilt all weekend. :D

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Looking so pretty. Thank you for sharing the instructions!

Susie Swanson said...

Those sure are pretty. I'm watching you put it together. That's one pattern I've yet to try..

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

This churn dash pattern sure is lovely. I like the fabric you used, too. If I could quilt, I would love to make this, but I do not have the talent. You are so gifted making your awesome quilts. I enjoy looking at your pretty quilts.

MunirGhiasuddin said...

This is the first time I have seen this pattern. I cannot wait to see what comes next.

Karendianne said...

Just love the center with the 4 patch

Nanette Merrill said...

I love this scrappy churn dash. For sure on my list.