Monday, February 18, 2019

Staying Busy

Here is the completed quilt happily doing its job on our bed! I do love it. 
I again used Bonnie Hunter's pattern, Narragansett Blues. I used mostly reds, and between each vertical row I added a one inch strip of red. Gives it a totally different look!

I used this sweet fleece as the backing and the batting is Hobbs Tuscany cotton/wool blend My aim was a warm quilt without all the weight. We tried a couple of my other quilts after my knee replacement surgery and I could not stand the weight of either. This one is so much better, and since I have the other knee scheduled for replacement early next month, I'm glad to have it finished!

American Patchwork and Quilting magazine has a quilt in their latest issue (April, 2019) that I like, so I had already decided to give it a shot. Then I noticed there is a quilt along starting today.  The strips are all one and a half inches wide, but fortunately I have the Go! Cutter strip die in that size. Yay! Makes it go so much faster.

Here are the first three blocks. It's going to be a time consuming project, but that's what I need right now. Quilting really does help me to stay sane, and not to think about things I cannot control.
Lots of pretties out in the front and the back yards! The chickens are having a marvelous time whenever they get to roam. Chloe, of course, is not impressed. 
I'm really enjoying our little patio. We've had some nasty, cold and rainy weather, but when the pretty days come along, those are all forgotten. It is joy to have the back door open and enjoy the birds and the chicken songs. Mr. Muddling is sure it's not singing, but I know better!

Isn't it good to have fun? I believe in it! And I hope you're having a lot of fun where you are!

Hugs and Kisses,

8 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love your red quilt and those strips look great between the rows. That is a lot of work keeping it all lined up that way though. It looks like you didn't have any problems with it.

Queen City Quilter said...

OH I love it in the reds!!!!!

Susie Swanson said...

Beautiful quilt and so glad you're able to be back at it. Praying for the next surgery to go good for you. We're about to get washed away here. Rainy all week. take care sweet friend. Love and Blessings

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I love your new colorful, beautiful quilt. I also love your patio. It looks so inviting and so comfortable. Hope your next surgery goes well.

Karen S said...

Lovely finish with your quilt. How wonderful to have it on your bed. It looks perfect there.
Good luck with the quilt along. Looks like you are well organised with your strips already and I do like the look of the starting blocks.
Enjoy the warmer days and the chicken songs.

Wonky Girl said...

So jelly of your weather and yard pretties. Mine are encased in ice right now. Glad you are healing nicely. Yikes, another surgery ! But what a wonderful quilt to heal under. :-)

Sheila said...

The red one inch strip was a good idea! Your red quilt is beautiful. Hope it's easy on your knee. Hope your next knee surgery goes well.
Love those 1.5" strip blocks.
We're have a pretty week here in the mountains of NC. We know winter is not over, but this is soooo nice.
Your flowers were beautiful in your last post : )
Take care, dear. Keep sewing and taking pictures of those pretty chickens. And Chloe.

Thimbleanna said...

Another beauty Elaine -- I love the red! Also looking forward to watching your quilt-a-long progress -- it will be pretty, but the looks of your start. And good luck with your knee!!!