Thursday, January 12, 2023

First Finish of 2023

I quilted this one in December, but never got around to sewing the binding on until January, so we'll just call it 2023. This quilt started off as a pattern from Mary Johnson who is so generous with the quilt patterns she creates. I decided to add in some sixteen patch blocks for the fun of it. I like the secondary pattern they create.

I used a red print for the backing and a solid red for the binding. It will be going to the USO Lounge at IAH.

It looks pretty comfortable on the patio swing. 
The shelves behind hold plants I'm attempting to save from the cold. The arctic blast is gone, but usually we get another cold weather in February. 

I've been working on a little quilt and trying my hand at hand quilting. Not impressed with my needlework so far, but surely I will improve!
 

Mr. Muddling and I moved the little greenhouse to the other side of the back yard. New Year, new ideas for organization, and I hope more productivity out there!

I am always encouraged seeing the stubborn persistence of plants. That poinsettia at the top left is from Christmas 2021. I left it outside all year until the cold came, and it is still trying to produce big flower bracts. Chickens are always endlessly amusing! Paperwhites have grown from bulbs newly planted and are blooming, and the Althea (Rose of Sharon) is already putting out new greenery.
And then there are Buddy and Lady - taking it easy and trying to stay warm when it was so cold. 
 
Life is still good. God is still on His throne, and there is still always reason to hope and to move forward with courage!
 
Hugs and kisses,
Elaine 

 

3 comments:

Karen S said...

Yes, another wonderful quilt. I like the idea of adding in the 16 patch blocks. I had no idea that would help to create that curved pattern.
Looks great!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

What amazing quilts. I love the patterns and the colors.

Hope you are well and not having the ice and snow I've seen on the news.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Elaine, another lovely quilt! The colors are almost patriotic and so vibrant! As lovely as your large quilts are.....I am sure your little quilt will be just as lovely! It's wonderful to have a greenhouse. All of your plants look happy. The plumeria is still doing well by the way.....and it has grown so tall. I think of you each time I see it! Comfy dogs on your comfy quilts .......so sweet! Wishing you pleasant February days!