Saturday, July 9, 2022

A Quilt for My Friend

 
More years ago than I care to remember I met my friend Carmen. She and her husband lived in the apartment right next door. They had a son the age of our son. Needless to say we became friends and have remained so all these years, even though we seldom see each other in person.
Carmen has a milestone birthday coming up next month and I wanted to make a special quilt for her.
 
 
I like it a lot and I hope she will, too.   
 
 
Mr. Muddling had a birthday last weekend and of course I made a cake for him.
It was delicious.

So many pretty things going on. The second from left photo on top is an orb weaver spider who was here for a couple of weeks. The photo to the right of it is the egg sac she left when she moved on.
 
Our daughter Ruthie had a friend in the UK, Dawn. They met years and years ago in an online support group for chronic pain. Though they never physically met, they talked and video messaged and typed a lot and ended up being great friends.  The stone on the lower left is Dawn's latest gift to us. She has always remembered to send us some sort of sweet remembrance on Ruthie's birthday and Christmas. We adopted her after Ruthie left us and she was so proud and happy to be a part of her "Texas family"! We had a sweet message from Dawn's daughter on Tuesday telling us Dawn had passed away last Friday. I know she is no longer in pain and I am so happy for her. I know that she and Ruthie are still catching up. But there is a big hole in our hearts knowing we won't hear those sweet messages of hers. I miss her.

This is now a queen size quilt top. Sooner or later, it will be quilted.

    
While I had all those batiks out I cut a nice stack of tumblers. I've been sewing some of them together in between other things. And I'm pretty sure I'll need to pull those batiks back out and cut more!

I really have been busy even though I haven't been telling you about it! One thing I can tell you for sure is I am ready for some cooler weather! 

I hope you are staying cool (or warm as the case may be!), and that you are finding lots of things to do and for which to be thankful. God is still good. And He is good all the time. If you don't already, I hope you get to know Him.

Hugs and kisses,
Elaine

4 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Those black and yellow spiders creep me out. I wouldn't want a whole batch of them hatching in my garden. I have had 2 of them in all of the years living here. Onw made a web between 2 pots and when I leaned over to look at something in the pot I almost got my hair caught in the web. Then I saw the spider!!

Karen S said...

That is a wonderful quilt for your friend Carmen. Gorgeous colours that work so well in that design. That lime green really hits the mark and works so well to tie it together. Love it.
And of course, happy birthday wishes to Mr M.

Pam said...

Beautiful quilt. So you're in Houston - I had second cousins there. I believe it's very hot! It's much cooler here in Edinburgh -one reason why Thimbleanna likes to visit. How very sad that you lost your daughter - I'm so sorry.

Margaret said...

What beautiful quilts! I'm so sorry that you've dealt with the devastating loss of your daughter and now your adopted one. It is so distressing to lose those we love.